Strathspey 4 - Wick 2

 24th November 2018 - Breedon Scottish Highland Football League  
 Strathspey Thistle FC  4 (Gary Manson og 23, James McShane 63, 74, James Fraser 72)

strathspeythistle_adidasTeam: Michael MacCallum, Cameron Lisle, Martin Duncan, Nicholas Mochan, Stephen Rennieycard, James McShane, David Watson, Scott Lisle, Ross Naismith, James Fraser(c)ycard(Ricky Lee 88), Craig MacMillan (Dominick Edwards 82).

Subs:  Dominick Edwards, Richard Finnis, Craig Mainland, Ricky Lee, Paul MacLennan.

  Wick Academy FC
  2 (Gordon MacNab 65, Craig Gunn 90)

WAFC Away Shirt 18-19Team: Gordon Clarkycard, Gary Manson, Alan Farquhar(c), Danny Mackayycard, Craig Gunn, Jack Hallidayycard, Marc MacGregor, Davie Allanycard, Gordon MacNab, Ross Allan(Jack Henry78), Grant Steven.

Subs: Grant Aitkenhead, Jack Henry, Sean McCarthy.

 Referee:   Scott Leslie
 Bookings:   Danny Mackay 22
  Davie Allan 56
  Gordon Clark 71
  Jack Halliday 83 
  James Fraser 83
  Stephen Rennie 89
 Sponsors Man of the Match:  
 Match Photos - Mel & Bob Roger   Match photos

Wick Academy boss Tom McKenna could face a dug-out ban after he was sent to the stand during Saturday’s 4-2 defeat to Strathspey Thistle.
As an injury-hit Academy side faltered at Seafield Park, with a number of refereeing decisions going against the visitors and McKenna’s frustrations coming to the boil.
An own goal by Gary Manson and a James McShane (penalty) saw the much-improved Strathy Jags race into a two-goal lead. Gordy MacNab reduced the deficit but any hope of a comeback was soon thwarted as Thistle netted twice more via James Fraser and another spot-kick from McShane. Craig Gunn pulled one back for Academy late on.
Wick will be looking to bounce back at Lossiemouth this weekend but may have to do it without their gaffer on the touchline.
The SFA disciplinary panel will look at the referee’s report for the Strathspey game and decide if it merits any further action.
McKenna said: “I’m not sure what the rules are regarding Highland League managers who are ordered off to the stand. No doubt we’ll find out one way or an-other this week.
“As to what happened, I thought our players were not being adequately protected by the officials. I was asking for consistency as fouls were given for them and not for us.
“Davie Allan especially seemed to be singled out for some rough treatment. It was after one foul too many on Davie that I expressed my concern.
“The linesman took issue with what I said and signalled for the referee’s attention. He told him that I swore but I can’t recall using any swear words.”
Coupled with officiating issues, the elements were not kind to Wick as heavy fog enveloped the ground.
McKenna added: “To be honest, I didn’t think the game would be allowed to finish. I had trouble seeing the incident for their first penalty so I couldn’t tell you if it was one or not.
“The fog did lift and the game was allowed to carry on – the right decision, in my opinion. I’m not going to use the mist that was there early in the game as an excuse as it was the same for both teams and it did lift pretty quickly soon after.
“As for the game itself, it was frustrating that we didn’t lose it in open play. Two penalties – the second one I did see, and it was the correct decision – and poor defending at set -pieces did for us.
“We showed our naivety but we also have to hold our hands up and say ‘well done’ to Strathspey. They did not surprise me with their performance.
“People may have thought this would be easy for us as we beat them 5-1 at their place in the cup earlier this season. But even during that game, I could see signs of their potential which I knew would do teams damage if they could produce a good 90-minute performance.
“Maybe if we had our full squad available then things might have been different out there. I had faith in the team I put out but when you’re missing quality players then it does show.

Match report written by Caithness Courier - Wed, Nov 28, 2018.