Wick Academy 4
Huntly 4

Wick Academy
4 - 4

Saturday, August 27th, 2016
Harmsworth Park. Att. 490
3:00 PM Kick-off

Marc MacGregor (31)
Michael Steven (73)
Richard Macadie (76)
Steven Anderson (92)
Dennis Wyness(12)
Sean Webb (44)
Dennis Wyness (19)
Elliot Duff (94)

Team Managers
Gordon Connelly
Douglas Baxter

Starting Eleven
Sean McCarthy
Michael Steven
Grant Steven
James Pickles
Gary Manson
Alan Farquhar
Richard Macadie
Marc MacGregor
Ross Allan
Steven Anderson
David Allan
Andrew Pennycook
Sean Webb
Cory Ritchie
Neale Allan
Lewis Ingram
Sean Croll
Ian Cruickshank
Dennis Wyness
Paul Napier
Jordan Morrice
Matthew McDonald

Asa Sinclair
Colin Macrae
Danny Mackay
Michael Petrie
Andrew Mackay
James McLean
Gary Weir
Alexander Thoirs
Elliot Duff
Stuart Hodge
Adam Naismith
Joe Burr
Martin MacDonald

Danny Mackay for Grant Steven (39)
Andrew Mackay for Ross Allan (46)
James McLean for Marc MacGregor (70)
Alexander Thoirs for Ian Cruickshank (26)
Adam Naismith for Cory Richie (56)
Elliot Duff for Jordan Morrice (66)

Michael Steven (34)
Cory Ritchie (8)
Sean Croll (50)
Alexander Thoirs (72)
Sean Croll (89)

Red Cards
Gary Manson (84)
Sean Croll (89)
Match Officials

Graham Fraser (Referee)
Graham John & Gordon Seago (Assistants)

Match Report

Well this game had it all, and then some! Eight goals, two missed penalties, two red cards and an action filled second half that was a roller-coaster!

Two goals from Dennis Wyness had the visitors two up after 19 minutes before Marc MacGregor pulled one back. A free header from a corner got Sean Webb onto the score card to put Huntly in at the break two goals to the good.

Two goals in three second half minutes from Michael Steven and Richard Macadie had Academy level before a great run and strike from Steven Anderson deep into injury time had the Harmsworth Park faithful on their feet as it looked to be a sure-fire winner. Huntly however went back up the field and with the last kick of the match their new summer signing Elliot Duff kept his cool in the box to finish the game in style and ensure the points were shared.

Academy started the game sharply and with only three minutes played had a very strong case for a penalty kick. Steven Anderson broke into the box and keeper Andrew Pennycook looked to take all of the man and none of the ball, but referee Graham Fraser waved play on.

Pennycook was in action again minutes later palming away a shot from Anderson that looked goal-bound.

Pickles was the next to have a crack and again Pennycook was on hand to make the save and gather the ball at the second attempt.

Huntly opened the scoring on 12 minutes. A long kick-out bounced over the top of Grant Steven allowing veteran striker Dennis Wyness to nip in and he made no mistake in finding the net.

0 - 1

Pickles set up Anderson in Academy's next attack but Anderson's curling shot flew just passed the outside of the post.

On 19 minutes Wyness again found the net. Academy tried to play the ball out of defence but a slack pass from Alan Farquhar allowed Wyness in on goal. His first attempt was blocked and the ball spun up in the air, but he hammered home at the second attempt.

0 - 2

Just passed the half hour Academy pulled a goal back. Keeper Pennycook got down well to his right to get a hand to an Anderson shot but he could only palm it into the path of the on-rushing Marc MacGregor who finished from close range.

1 - 2

Grant Steven looked to be struggling with a reoccurring hamstring injury and he had to be replaced by Danny Mackay with 5 minutes of the first half left.

A minute before the break Sean McCarthy went air-born and tipped a strike from Jordan Morrice over his crossbar. From the resulting corner Sean Webb had a free header and he duly nodded home.

1 - 3

Half Time - Wick Academy 1 - Huntly 3

Manager Connelly made a change at the start of the second half. Andrew Mackay came on for Ross Allan and Academy went to three at the back.

Three minutes after the re-start Academy won a penalty. Richard Macadie hammered it down the middle. Keeper Pennycook looked to have set off to his left but somehow managed to stick out a foot and made the save.

Keeper Pennycook was earning his corn and he was again in the action this time saving a pile-driver from Gary Manson.

Academy were throwing everything at the Huntly defence. Anderson had a shot that rattled off the crossbar and looked to have won a penalty when he was taken down but referee Fraser adjudged the first contact to have been made just outside the box. From the free kick Michael Steven found the net for his second goal of the season, game on!

2 - 3

Academy's equaliser three minutes later was a thing of beauty. From all of 35 yards Richard Macadie peeled the ball off his lacers and not even the giant keeper Pennycook could get anywhere near it as it almost burst the net, an early contender for goal of the season.

3 - 3

Huntly broke up-field and won a corner. That was swung in and after ping-pong in the box a Huntly player got a strike on it. Gary Manson was standing on the line near the left hand post. His hands were tight by his side but he looked to move his body towards the ball and it struck him high up on the armshoulder preventing a certain goal. Referee Fraser flashed the red card and Huntly had a penalty. Wyness stepped up to take it but dragged his effort wide of McCarthy's right hand post.

A minute from the final whistle Huntly went down to 10 men when Sean Croll picked up his second booking of the match.

Two minutes into injury time Anderson went on a surging run through the middle of the Huntly defence, before finding a yard and he rifled home a screamer that beat Pennycook down low to his right. The Harmsworth roar must have been heard half way across the town!

4 - 3

With the last kick of the ball however Huntly earned a point. The ball was played up the Huntly right to substitute Elliot Duff. Andrew Mackay ran over to try to stop him just inside the box but Elliot left him on the floor and curled a great strike passed the outstretched hand of McCarthy into the right hand corner of the net.

4 - 4

With no more time left on the watch referee Fraser blew for full time with both sets of fans in need of a lie-down!

Full Time - Wick Academy 4 - Huntly 4

Match report written by John Briskham

Squad Statistics (as at August 27th, 2016)

2016/2017 All Time
Sean McCarthy (GK)23 5 - 82 -
Grant Steven24 4 - 1606
Michael Steven26 5218710
Marc MacGregor21 514213
Richard Macadie29 52421167
Alan Farquhar28 4 - 2583
Gary Manson32 5 - 53436
James Pickles25 5 - 13514
Ross Allan23 5 - 1669
David Allan27 5 - 288127
Steven Anderson23 448437
Danny Mackay (sub)25 2 - 421
Andrew Mackay (sub) - 3 - 3 -
James McLean (sub) - 3 - 17 -

League Table (as at August 27th, 2016)

Pld W D L +/- Pts
1. Buckie Thistle 5 5 0 0 +21 15
2. Cove Rangers 5 4 1 0 +10 13
3. Lossiemouth 5 4 1 0 +6 13
4. Brora Rangers 5 4 0 1 +12 12
5. Formartine Utd 5 4 0 1 +8 12
6. Fraserburgh 5 3 2 0 +8 11
7. Keith 5 3 0 2 +1 9
8. WICK 5 2 2 1 +4 8
9. Deveronvale 5 2 0 3 -1 6
10. Turriff United 5 2 0 3 -1 6
11. Huntly 5 1 2 2 -7 5
12. Rothes 5 1 1 3 -7 4
13. Forres Mech 5 1 1 3 -7 4
14. Nairn County 5 1 1 3 -9 4
15. Strathspey 5 1 0 4 -16 3
16. Inverurie Locos 5 0 2 3 -4 2
17. Clachnacuddin 5 0 1 4 -8 1
18. Fort William 5 0 0 5 -10 0