Huntly 2
Wick Academy 1
Scottish Cup (Round 1)


2 - 1

Wick Academy

Scottish Cup (Round 1)
Saturday, September 13th, 2014
Christie Park. Att. 150
3:00 PM Kick-off

David Booth (Pen.) (51)
David Booth (Pen.) (88)
Gary Weir (34)

Team Managers
Unknown. Gordon Connelly

Starting Eleven
Fraser Hobday
Neale Davidson
Alexander Thoirs
David Christie
Mark Lawson
Mark Smith
Adam McNamee
Ian Cruikshank
Murray McCulloch
David Booth
Craig Dorrat
Sean McCarthy
Grant Campbell
Grant Steven
Michael Steven
Stevie Cunningham
Gary Manson
Sam Mackay
Richard Macadie
Ross Allan
Gary Weir
David Allan

Blair Johnston
Thomas Johnston
Vilius Makaravicius
Sam Harrison
Lewis Ingram
Michael Clark
Sam McKenzie
James More
John Budge
Alan Hughes
Steven Anderson

Vilius Makaravicius for Murray McCulloch (70)
Michael Clark for Alexander Thoirs (91)
Steven Anderson for Gary Weir (68)

David Christie (87) Grant Steven (88)

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

Craig Sim (Referee)
Stewart Riddoch & Cameron Wallace (Assistants)

Match Report

Wick Academy travelled to Christie Park today for the first round of the Scottish Cup. James Pickles was suspended for the game, Jack Halliday is still out injured and Lukasz Geruzel was unavailable.

Scottish Cup specialist Gary Weir fired Academy into the lead with his 11th goal in 12 Scottish Cup appearances but Academy's achillies heel this season of conceding penalties proved to be our down-fall when David Booth converted two second half spot-kicks to give the home side the win and snuff out Academy's Scottish Cup run.

Academy's first chance of the game came in 8 minutes. Gary Weir got onto the end of a ball crossed into the box but from 10 yards out he fired his attempt straight to keeper Fraser Hobday.

On the quarter hour Academy almost took the lead. Gary Manson split the Huntly defence with a perfect pass to the feet of Weir. Weir drove into the box and rounded the keeper but his shot from a tight angle smacked off the post.

A minute later a throw-in on the right went to Gary Manson who crossed into the Huntly box. Weir got his head to the ball but keeper Hodbay made the save.

Academy kept making chances. David Allan picked the ball up as Huntly failed to clear their lines and he squared to Weir but Weir scuffed his shot straight to the keeper.

The opening goal came for the Scorries on 34 minutes. Mark Lawson lost the ball which broke to Weir. Keeper Hobday blocked Weir's first attempt but the Academy striker snaffled up the rebound and fired home from 12 yards.

0 - 1

Sam Mackay had a goal chalked off for off-side before Mark Smith fired a great chance over the crossbar and the sides went in at the break with Academy with their noses in front.

Half Time - Huntly 0 - Wick Academy 1

Two chances in a minute then fell to both sides. Davie Allan broke up the left flank and played a one-two with Stevie Cunningham but keeper Hodbay got down well to save Allan's shot. Huntly broke up-field and a long ball fell to David Booth who homed in on goal but Grant Steven covered back and made a great tackle.

Huntly squared the game on 51 minutes. Craig Dorrat turned Ross Allan in the box and Allan took him down. David Booth claimed the spot kick and he fired home sending McCarthy the wrong way.

1 - 1

A minute later Academy had a chance to re-take the lead. Weir cut the ball back to David Allan from a throw-in on the right. Allan smashed a shot on target but it was blocked for a corner.

Academy won a free-kick on the right on the hour mark. The ball was played to Davie Allan at the back post but he flicked his attempt wide of target.

In the next Academy attack Michael Steven played the ball out of defence for Weir to knock down to Mackay. He played the ball into Davie Allan on the inside left channel and he ran in on goal before getting off a left foot shot which the Huntly keeper saved.

Academy made a change taking off goal-scorer Weir for Anderson.

Booth wriggled past Grant Seven in the box and got a shot on target but McCarthy got a foot on the ball to knock it for a corner. Davidson took the corner and Lawson got his head to it and it flew just past the outside of the post.

5 minutes from full-time Mackay chipped the ball to Ross Allan on the left of the Huntly box and he flashed it across the 6 yards line but Grant Steven just failed to deflect it into the net.

Minutes later Grant Steven was adjudged to have fouled his man in the box and referee Craig Sim awarded Huntly their second penalty of the game. David Booth kept his cool to fire it home to put Huntly into the lead.

2 - 1

On the death Sam Mackay had the chance to take the game to a re-play. Davie Allan on the left hit the bye-line and cut the ball back to Mackay 12 yards from goal but he side-footed his attempt high over the cross-bar.

Time ran out for the Scorries and Huntly ensured their name go into the hat for the next round draw.

Full Time - Huntly 2 - Wick Academy 1

Match report written by Luke Bunch

Squad Statistics (as at September 13th, 2014)

2014/2015 All Time
Sean McCarthy (GK)21 12 - 12 -
Grant Campbell - 9 - 33 -
Michael Steven24 11 - 1246
Grant Steven22 10 - 982
Richard Macadie27 124345135
Sam Mackay25 9217979
Gary Manson30 10146634
Stevie Cunningham - 12124142
Ross Allan21 1221226
David Allan25 123212100
Gary Weir17 107357142
Steven Anderson (sub)21 9 - 9 -

League Table (as at September 13th, 2014)

Pld W D L +/- Pts
1. Brora Rangers 8 7 1 0 +33 22
2. Inverurie Locos 9 7 1 1 +20 22
3. Formartine Utd 8 6 1 1 +10 19
4. Turriff United 9 7 0 2 +8 18
5. Fraserburgh 8 5 1 2 +11 16
6. Forres Mech 8 5 1 2 +10 16
7. WICK 8 5 0 3 +2 15
8. Cove Rangers 9 4 2 3 +7 14
9. Buckie Thistle 8 4 2 2 +2 14
10. Clachnacuddin 8 3 2 3 +3 11
11. Nairn County 9 3 2 4 +3 11
12. Deveronvale 8 2 3 3 -3 9
13. Keith 8 3 0 5 -6 9
14. Lossiemouth 9 2 1 6 -11 7
15. Strathspey 9 1 2 6 -17 5
16. Rothes 9 1 0 8 -33 3
17. Fort William 9 0 2 7 -16 2
18. Huntly 8 0 1 7 -23 1