Wick Academy 3
Brora Rangers 0
NOS Cup (2nd Round)

Wick Academy
3 - 0
Brora Rangers 

NOS Cup (2nd Round)
Tuesday, August 11th, 2009
Harmsworth Park
7:00 PM Kick-off

David Allan (8)
Stevie Cunningham (15)
Martin Gunn (87)

Team Managers
Ian Munro & Richard Hughes
Andy Macleod

Starting Eleven
Michael Gray
Andrew MacLeod
Shaun Sinclair
Alex Lamb
Grant Campbell
Richard Macadie
Martin Gunn
Gary Manson
Stevie Cunningham
Gary Weir
David Allan
Michael Macallum
Ryan MacKintosh
John Colquhoun
Mark McKermie
Ryan Tillman
Evan Murray
Scott Begg
Jamie McKay
Jason Gunn
Liam Baxter
John Cameron

Bryan McKiddie
Ross Allan
Craig Shearer
Alan Farquhar
David Cowie
Robert MacDonald
Kevin McKie
Fraser Heath

Alan Farquhar for Gary Weir (79)
Ross Allan for Gary Manson (82)
Robert MacDonald for Evan Murray (84)

Grant Campbell (9)
Stevie Cunningham (48)
David Allan (66)
Gary Weir (72)
Liam Baxter (31)
Ryan MacKintosh (54)
Jamie McKay (68)
John Cameron (87)

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

Graham Fraser (Referee)

Match Report

Wick Academy won their Nutel North of Scotland cup tie against Brora Rangers on Tuesday evening at Harmsworth Park to earn a place in the semi final.

Mid fielder Gary Farquhar was still injured but Craig Shearer and Bryan McKiddie claimed a place on the bench alongside new signing Alan Farquhar. Veteran goal keeper Michael Gray, signed as cover and competition for James More, lined up against his former team.

Academy quickly took the initiative. Grant Campbell stroked a 20 yard pass up the left to Gary Manson whose cross was scrambled away from Gary Weir. Academy again made progress up the left to win a corner which was headed down by Alex Lamb but John Cameron was back to clear the danger.

The Scorries took lead in the 8th minute when after good work by Stevie Cunningham playing the ball forward into space in the box David Allan ran in from the right to drive the ball low past Michael Mccallum’s right hand.

Brora fought their way into the game and Lamb intercepted Liam Baxter’s low cross from the right. When Ryan MacKintosh split the Wick defence Andrew MacLeod tackled Jamie Mackay.

Weir and Richard Macadie both shot wide as Wick tried to get back into a rhythm though when Cameron raced into the box at the other end Shaun Sinclair timed a tackle to perfection to win the ball.

In the 25th minute Academy doubled their lead. Campbell started the move on the left, Manson swept the ball across to the right and Allan cut into the box past two defenders. This time he slipped a pass towards Cunningham who turned near the spot and swung his right leg to fire an unstoppable volley into the net.

Macadie was prominent as Wick pushed for a killer third goal but Lamb shot high and Gunn wide. Brora battled on and a shot from Cameron flashed past the post. Gray then made a confident catch above a cluster of players when Mark McKernie hoisted over a 40 yard free kick from the right.

It should have been 3-0 just before the break when Cunningham set up a golden opportunity four yards out but Weir’s shot hit the bar.

Play continued fast and furious but with no clear cut chances for either side. Referee Graham Fraser kept an iron grip on the game which was punctuated with free kicks and saw 4 cautions for Wick and 3 for Brora.

A free kick from Evan Murray was headed on by Jason Gunn and Gray made a clean catch. Allan set up Manson whose shot was parried and Macadie sliced the rebound wide. A Manson free kick was headed away and Weir shot wide after a Macadie free kick near the right corner flag. Macadie saw his 25 yard lob drift wide but with time running out Academy at last netted a third. Ross Allan sprinted 40 yards and was tripped in the box by Cameron. Macallum dived to his right to parry Gunn’s spot kick but the ball bounced up and the Wick skipper headed it into the net from 6 yards. The semi final will be against Inverness Caley Thistle at Harmsworth Park on 25 or 26 August.

Full Time 3 - 0

Wick Academy co-managers Ian Munro and Richard Hughes were happy to see their team claim a semi final place and Hughes said: “After going 2-0 up we made hard work of getting a third goal. We were a bit flat at times but derby games are tough and sometimes the tactics book goes out the window. It really comes down to who wants to win the game the most so we are delighted for the boys that they won 3-0.” Brora boss Andy MacLeod said: “Obviously I’m disappointed that we are out of the cup but credit to Wick. They got two first half goals and kind of sat in from there. We competed a lot better in the second half but Wick deserved their win.”

Match report written by Ken Wood

Squad Statistics (as at August 11th, 2009)

2009/2010 All Time
Michael Gray (GK) - 1 - 1 -
Andrew MacLeod - 4 - 2445
Grant Campbell - 4 - 4 -
Alex Lamb - 4 - 1331
Shaun Sinclair - 3 - 109 -
Richard Macadie22 4413636
Stevie Cunningham - 43368
Gary Manson25 4 - 27327
Martin Gunn - 3336174
David Allan19 46229
Gary Weir12 4 - 16953
Ross Allan (sub)16 4 - 4 -
Alan Farquhar (sub)21 2 - 2 -

League Table (as at August 11th, 2009)

Pld W D L +/- Pts
1. WICK 2 2 0 0 +8 6
2. Deveronvale 2 2 0 0 +7 6
3. Cove Rangers 2 2 0 0 +3 6
4. Inverurie Locos 2 1 1 0 +3 4
5. Nairn County 2 1 1 0 +1 4
6. Clachnacuddin 2 1 0 1 +3 3
7. Lossiemouth 2 1 0 1 +3 3
8. Turriff United 2 1 0 1 +2 3
9. Formartine Utd 2 1 0 1 +1 3
10. Fraserburgh 2 1 0 1 +1 3
11. Huntly 2 1 0 1 0 3
12. Forres Mech 2 1 0 1 0 3
13. Brora Rangers 2 1 0 1 -1 3
14. Keith 2 1 0 1 -3 3
15. Buckie Thistle 2 0 0 2 -2 0
16. Rothes 2 0 0 2 -6 0
17. Fort William 2 0 0 2 -10 0
18. Strathspey 2 0 0 2 -10 0