Turriff United 4
Wick Academy 2
Scottish Cup (2nd Round)

Turriff United 

4 - 2

Wick Academy

Scottish Cup (2nd Round)
Saturday, October 5th, 2013
The Haughs. Att. 300
3:00 PM Kick-off

Gary Harris (26)
Gary McGowan (36)
Gary Harris (48)
Gary Harris (64)
Sam Mackay (58)
Lukasz Geruzel (pen.) (84)

Team Managers
Unknown. Barry Wilson

Starting Eleven
Stephen Coutts
Lewis Davidson
Phil McKibben
Stuart Cumming
Cammy Bowden
Paul Young
Aaron McKenna
James Brownie
Gary Harris
Gary McGowan
Ben Allan
Michael Gray
Michael Steven
Sam Mackay
Alan Farquhar
James Pickles
Gary Manson
Stevie Cunningham
Craig Shearer
Richard Macadie
Gary Weir
David Allan

Kerin McCaffrey
Chris Herd
Stephen Gauld
Robert Allan
Mike MacKenzie
Gary Davidson
Aaron Shand
James More
Alex Lamb
Shaun Sinclair
Ross Allan
John Pickles
Lukasz Geruzel
James Murray

Robert Allan for Gary Harris (80)
Stephen Gauld for Ben Allan (80)
Lukasz Geruzel for Gary Weir (46)
Alex Lamb for Craig Shearer (61)
James Murray for Richard Macadie (71)

Cammy Bowden (41)
Phil McKibben (82)
Robert Allan (84)
Lewis Davidson (88)
Stuart Cumming (89)
Michael Steven (39)
David Allan (50)
Lukasz Geruzel (89)

Red Cards
None. James Pickles (89)

Match Officials

Craig Napier (Referee)

Match Report

Academy's Scottish Cup adventure was ended today with a 4-2 defeat away to Turriff. Gary Harris scored a hat-trick for the hosts and although Academy made a spirited attempt at taking something from the game it ended in a sour note when James Pickles was given a straight red by referee Craig Napier.

The home side created the first chance of the game after only 2 minutes. A corner on the right by Gary McGowan found Phil McKibben but he headed over the bar from 15 yards.

6 minutes later and Turriff should have taken the lead. Craig Shearer got the ball trapped under his feet allowing McGowan to nick the ball. He squared it across goal to Gary Harris who got a shot on target that Michael Gray smothered but couldn't hold it and McGowan followed in to hit towards goal and the ball was cleared off the line by Michael Steven.

Academy took 11 minutes to create their first chance. Gary Weir drove at the Turriff defence and rode a tackle to go on-on-one with the keeper but as he was shaping to pull the trigger Weir's marker got back and made a great tackle to clear the danger.

3 minutes later Academy had another good chance. Weir chipped the ball into the Turriff box for Sam Mackay who held off his marker but from 16 yards out fired his shot over the bar.

Another chance fell the way of the Scorries when Michael Steven played a long ball up the right wing picking out Richard Macadie who crossed to the near post to Davie Allan but he fired his effort straight at keeper Stephen Coutts. The play switched to the other end of the park and Michael Gray palmed away a 25 yard drive from Lewis Davidson.

Turriff opened the scoring on 26 minutes. Referee Craig Napier blew up for what looked like a pretty soft free-kick against James Pickles. Gary Harris struck the free-kick over the wall and into the back of the net.

1 - 0

10 minutes later the hosts doubled their advantage through Gary McGowan. Richard Macadie gave the ball away on the right touch-line to Aaron McKenna who played the ball to the edge of the Academy box where it was laid-off to McGowan and he shot across Gray into the bottom corner of the net.

2 - 0

Half Time - Turriff United 2 - Wick Academy 0

Academy made a change at the start of the second half with Lukasz Geruzel coming on for Gary Weir, but it was Turriff who again found the net after only 3 minutes after the re-start. A free-kick just inside the Turriff half was taken by Stuart Cumming who picked out Gary Harris who taped home with the simplest of finishes.

3 - 0

Academy kept fighting and pulled a goal back on 58 minutes. Sam Mackay tried to play the ball forward into the Turriff box but it was blocked. Cammy Bowden hesitate in going to pick it up allowing Mackay to nip in to win the ball and he tucked it under the advancing keeper Coutts from a tight angle.

3 - 1

Despite the Scorries having a foot-hold back in the game it was Turriff who went on to score again with Gary Harris grabbing his hat-trick. Hesitation between Alex Lamb and Alan Farquhar allowed Harris to pick up a long pass played up the right flank and he lifted the ball over Gray into the corner of the net.

4 - 1

The final 6 minutes of the game were incident packed. Academy won a penalty when Davie Allan was adjudged to have been fouled in the box by Robert Allan who got booked for the tackle. Lukasz Geruzel took the spot-kick and he fired home.

4 - 2

The game ended with disappointment when James Pickles was given a straight red card for a tackle which looked a pretty harsh call, and in the resulting melee Lewis Davidson also picked up a booking.

The match ended without further scoring and Turriff go into the hat for the next round leaving Academy and a healthy away support with a long trek home.

Full Time – Turriff United 4 – Wick Academy 2

Match report written by Luke Bunch

Squad Statistics (as at October 5th, 2013)

2013/2014 All Time
Michael Gray (GK) - 5 - 62 -
Michael Steven23 12 - 905
Gary Manson29 11142933
James Pickles22 112464
Alan Farquhar25 1311521
Sam Mackay24 111214772
Richard Macadie26 1310306124
Craig Shearer - 11347566
Stevie Cunningham - 13 - 20241
David Allan24 12618287
Gary Weir16 138322120
Alex Lamb (sub) - 411693
Lukasz Geruzel (sub) - 1154529
James Murray (sub) - 3 - 5 -

League Table (as at October 5th, 2013)

Pld W D L +/- Pts
1. Brora Rangers 8 8 0 0 +25 24
2. Formartine Utd 8 8 0 0 +22 24
3. WICK 8 7 1 0 +29 22
4. Inverurie Locos 8 5 1 2 +8 16
5. Nairn County 8 5 0 3 +7 15
6. Deveronvale 8 5 0 3 +6 15
7. Buckie Thistle 8 4 2 2 +3 14
8. Huntly 9 3 4 2 +3 13
9. Turriff United 8 3 2 3 +1 11
10. Fraserburgh 7 3 1 3 0 10
11. Cove Rangers 7 2 3 2 0 9
12. Keith 8 2 2 4 -5 8
13. Forres Mech 9 2 1 6 -5 7
14. Clachnacuddin 8 1 3 4 -8 6
15. Strathspey 8 1 1 6 -22 4
16. Rothes 9 1 0 8 -28 3
17. Lossiemouth 8 0 2 6 -18 2
18. Fort William 7 0 1 6 -18 1