Wick Academy 2
Turriff United 1

Wick Academy
2 - 1
Turriff United 

Saturday, April 14th, 2012
Harmsworth Park
3:00 PM Kick-off

Gary Weir (49)
Richard Macadie (67)
Gary Harris (57)

Team Managers
Davie Kirkwood
Mark Simpson

Starting Eleven
Michael Gray
Grant Steven
Stewart Ross
Sam Mackay
Richard Macadie
Martin Gunn
Stevie Cunningham
Craig Shearer
Ross Allan
David Allan
Gary Weir
Stephen Coutts
James Chalmers
Cameron Bowden
Ross Anderson
Mark Simpson
Chris Herd
Robbie Allan
Dave McKenzie
Jerry O'Driscoll
Gary Harris
Ryan Cowie

James More
Shaun Sinclair
Bryan McKiddie
Alan Hughes
James Mackay
Donald Fraser
James Duguid
Richie Ligertwood
Stephen Gauld
Grant Pennet

Bryan McKiddie for Martin Gunn (69)
Donald Fraser for Ryan Cowie (71)
Stephen Gauld for Gary Harris (78)
James Duguid for Robbie Allan (86)

None. David MacKenzie (22)
Gary Harris (39)
Chris Herd (66)

Red Cards
None. Cameron Bowden (37)
Match Officials

Douglas Ross (Referee)

Match Report

Academy weren't at their sparkling best today, but did enough to claim another 3 points in a 2-1 win. Cammy Bowden was given a straight red with 38 minutes for raising his hands in a bit of a touch-line scuffle. Gary Weir opened the scoring with 49 minutes played with a well taken header, before Academy gifted a goal back when Grant Steven fluffed a back-pass and allowed Gary Harris to pinch the ball to round Gray and slot into an empty net. Academy's winner was a scorcher of a strike from a tight angle from Richard Macadie.

2 minutes played Davie Allan drove at the Turra defence and his shot was blocked down by James Chalmers and the ball trickled to keeper Steven Coutts.

Stewart Ross delivered a long ball over the top up the right flank which Weir took down and ran on onto the box before squaring to Macadie who cut inside his defender before getting a shot on target that keeper Coutts did well to block and the ball was scrambled clear for a corner.

Academy had more joy up the Turra right flank in their next attack. This time it was Sam Mackay who caused the Turra back line to turn on their heels as he drove into the box before cutting across goal to Macadie but he pulled his right foot shot into the side-netting.

Michael Gray denied Turriff the opener minutes later. They won a free-kick 25 yards from goal which was pumped into the box and Robert Allan turned it goal-bound but Gray somehow managed to get a block onto it. The ball was scrambled to safety in the middle of the penalty area with the visitors crying for a hand-ball in the midst of the mayhem but referee Ross waved their claims aside.

On 33 minutes Ross Allan latched onto a quick throw-in and charged into the visitor's box. He got a shot on target which nicked off a defender and Weir followed in but the ball just skidded away from him.

Turriff went down to 10 men in the 37th minute of the game. In a bit of a nothing scuffle for the ball wide on the right touch-line Cameron Bowden raised his hands against Stevie Cunningham and the far-side lines-man waved the referee over. After a period of consultation referee Ross flashed Bowden the red card and he trudged off for an early bath.

2 minutes later referee Ross had his note-book out again when Gary Harris went through the back of Ross Allan.

2 minutes from the break Mackay broke the Turriff off-side trap and worked the ball to the penalty area and flashed a right foot shot just past the outside of Coutts's left hand post.

A minute later Cunningham made ground up the right flank before crossing a dangerous ball to the near post. Craig Shearer got a toe on the ball but keeper Coutts got down well to make the save.

In the last action of the half Weir worked himself a half-yard on the edge of the Turra box but he tugged his shot wide of target.

Half Time 0 -0

4 minutes after the re-start Cunningham broke down the right wing and delivered a perfect cross onto the head of Weir who powered a header between Coutts and his left hand post.

1 - 0

In the next attack Academy should have doubled their lead. Macadie split the Turriff back line with a burst of pace and teed up Weir in acres of space in the middle of the box but he skied his attempt high of the target with the goal at his mercy.

In the 52nd minute Mackay gave the ball away cheaply in the middle of the park. Chris Herd played the ball through in front of Gary Harris who had a foot-race to the ball with Gray, but Michael beat him to it and cleared the ball for a throw-in.

Turriff were gifted a goal in the 56th minute. Under no real pressure Grant Steven trundled a back-pass to Gray which was pounced upon by Gary Harris. He rounder Gray and tucked home into an empty net.

1 - 1

In the 64th minute Weir showed some good skill out wide before he played Mackay into the Turriff box. Mackay got a shot on target from a tight angle but keeper Coutts got a hand to it and turned it for a corner.

2 minutes later Chris Herd was booked for a hard tackle through the back of Ross Allan.

In the next attacking move Academy took the lead again. Mackay played Macadie down the right channel and he drove into the box before unleashing an unstoppable shot from a tight angle into the opposite top corner of Coutts's net.

2 - 1

Academy then won a free kick 25 yards from goal when Weir was taken down from behind. Mackay took it but his attempt nicked of the top of the defensive wall and went for a corner.

Turriff made a few changes in an attempt to try to rescue the game with live-wire Donald Fraser and danger-man Stephen Gauld joining the action.

Turriff piled on the pressure in the dying stages and almost snatched an equaliser. A thrown-in was taken on the right and Chris Herd smacked it into the Academy penalty area where it bounced and went through everyone and narrowly past Gray's right hand post with no-one from Turriff following in.

Referee Ross played 3 minutes of extra-time before ending proceedings and Academy without playing at their best secured the 3 points.

Full Time - Wick Academy 2 - Turriff United 1.

Match report written by John Briskham

Squad Statistics (as at April 14th, 2012)

2011/2012 All Time
Michael Gray (GK) - 18 - 23 -
Grant Steven19 291291
Martin Gunn - 19143577
Richard Macadie25 34724985
Sam Mackay23 30159242
Stewart Ross - 22 - 18317
Ross Allan18 24 - 561
Craig Shearer - 28342459
Stevie Cunningham - 341314436
David Allan22 312212663
Gary Weir14 291426994
Bryan McKiddie (sub) - 18 - 1505

League Table (as at April 14th, 2012)

Pld W D L +/- Pts
1. Forres Mech 31 22 5 4 +54 71
2. Cove Rangers 31 20 7 4 +51 67
3. Nairn County 30 16 9 5 +45 57
4. Buckie Thistle 31 16 7 8 +27 55
5. Inverurie Locos 30 17 4 9 +27 55
6. Fraserburgh 30 16 7 7 +20 55
7. Keith 29 15 5 9 +28 50
8. WICK 30 14 5 11 +14 47
9. Deveronvale 29 14 4 11 +20 46
10. Lossiemouth 31 14 4 13 0 46
11. Huntly 32 14 4 14 -9 46
12. Turriff United 30 12 4 14 -1 40
13. Clachnacuddin 27 9 8 10 +1 35
14. Formartine Utd 29 9 7 13 -7 34
15. Rothes 29 7 4 18 -36 25
16. Brora Rangers 33 6 2 25 -77 20
17. Strathspey 31 3 2 26 -64 11
18. Fort William 29 1 4 24 -93 7