Wick Academy 1
Inverurie Locos 1

Wick Academy
1 - 1
Inverurie Locos 

Saturday, April 7th, 2012
Harmsworth Park
3:00 PM Kick-off

Stevie Cunningham (33)
Scott Begg (16)

Team Managers
Davie Kirkwood

Starting Eleven
Michael Gray
Grant Steven
Michael Steven
Stewart Ross
Sam Mackay
Martin Gunn
Gary Manson
Stevie Cunningham
Craig Shearer
Ross Allan
David Allan
Andy Reid
Jamie Michie
Steven Park
Clark Bain
Keiren Adams
Ryan Broadhurst
Marc Young
Craig Ross
Neil Gauld
Scott Begg
John Maitland

James More
Shaun Sinclair
Richard Macadie
Bryan McKiddie
Gary Weir
Jack Strachan
Simon Scott
Andrew Low
Nicky Gordon
Daniel Bell

Richard Macadie for Sam Mackay (75)
Gary Weir for Gary Manson (85)
Nicky Gordon for John Maitland (25)
Jack Strackan for Neil Gauld (34)
Simon Scott for Steven Park (88)

Sam Mackay (71)
David Allan (89)
Clark Bain (60)
Steven Park (64)
Clark Bain (65)
Nicky Clark (66)

Red Cards
Michael Steven (18)
Clark Bain (65)
Match Officials

Martin Kerrigan (Referee)

Match Report

The punters that witnessed today's game got their money's worth, and then some, in a match that was packed with action and incident from the first whistle to the last.

Scott Begg rifled the ball into the roof of the net from 4 yards out in the 16th minute and the Locos looked firm favourites to go on and win the game when two minutes later Michael Steven received a straight red card for a physical two footed tackle on John Mailand.

Academy however rallied and battled hard for every ball before Stevie Cunningham squared the scores with 12 minutes of the first half remaining.

Locos captain Clark Bain picked up his second booking of the game on 65 minutes to level the personnel on the park, and Academy mounted a barn-storming finish and had several good chances in the closing stages to take all 3 points.

Davie Allan had the first real break of the game 9 minutes in. He burst the Locos defence with a powerful run and just as he looked as if he was going to get a shot off Ryan Broadhurst got a foot in and nicked the ball.

A minute later Cunningham played Allan in on goal again and he got a shot off this time but it was flicked for a corner off a defender. Michael Steven got his head to the corner ball but keeper Andy Reid palmed it round his post.

Locos opened the scoring in the 16th minute. Sam Mackay looked to have been the victim of a hard tackle just in front of the dug-outs but referee Kerrigan waved play on and Loco broke down the right wing. The ball was crossed into the box and Marc Young cracked a shot on target that Gray blocked, but the ball fell for Scott Begg and he rifled the ball high into the roof of the net from 4 yards out.

0 - 1

Worse was to come for the Scorries two minutes later when Michael Steven dived in with a two footed tackle on Ryan Maitland and referee Kerrigan flashed the Academy defender the red card.

Maitland received several minutes of treatment and was able to resume but was clearly suffering and was substituted shortly after.

Academy looked as if they had scored with just over a half hour played when Mackay worked his way into the box before passing to Davie Allan and the ball broke off him and looked goal-bound but keeper Reid got something on it and the spin on the ball took it just wide of the post.

A minute later the Harmsworth roar must have been heard across the town, Academy worked the ball into the Locos box. Cunningham took it on his chest with back to goal and the ball dropped to his feet and he swivelled on it and his shot crept inside Reid's left hand post.

1 - 1

A minute later the Locos play-maker Neil Gauld had to be substituted as he looked to have pulled a hamstring.

Martin Gunn was next to have a crack at goal as he took the ball on the half-volley and fired a flashing drive across goal and just wide of target.

In the final action of the half it was the Locos that should have taken the lead. A long drive hit off Stewart Ross and went behind for a corner. That was delivered into the box and was met by the forehead of Kieren Adams who ghosted in unmarked but his powerful header went high of the target.

Half Time 1 - 1

The Locos started the second half at a high tempo forcing a corner in the 1st minute. That was fired into the Academy box and in a desperate scramble Ross Allan saved a certain goal when he cleared it off the line.

The match started to hot up and in a 5 minute period Clark Bain picked up two yellow cards so joined Michael Steven for an early bath, and Steven Park and Nicky Gordon also had their names added to the referee's note-book.

In the next Locos attack Michael Gray pulled off a great blocking save from an Andy Low shot and the ball fell to Scott Begg but he skied his follow-up shot over the cross-bar.

By this stage of the game it was end-to-end stuff and Stewart Ross dinked the ball over the top of the Locos back-line for Sam Mackay and he took one touch before attempting to chip it over Andy Reid who had gone down low and spread his body and got a hand to the ball to make a good save.

Academy started to look as if they could sniff a win and Macadie came on for Mackay. Macadie was minutes on the park when he put keeper Reid under pressure as he tried to kick out a back-pass and Reid smacked the ball against Macadie and it spun just past the post with the net laying empty.

Up the other end it was Locos that came close. Craig Ross broke to the right edge of the Academy box and unleashed a pile-drive that smacked off the outside of Gray's left hand post and behind for a bye-kick.

Manson picked up and injury and was replaced by Weir with 5 minutes left.

With 2 minutes on the clock Academy were winding up for a grandstand finish and went within a whisker of scoring the winner. Macadie drove down the right flank, cut inside the box and fired the ball across goal where Davie Allan steamed in and went full length to try to get a toe on the ball to turn it home but it just evaded him and went wide of target.

In the last kick off the game Davie Allan broke free of his marker and charged to the right edge of the Locos box. Keeper Reid came to meet him and Allan smacked a right foot shot on the run. The ball got past the outstretched Reid but whistled past the keeper's right hand post with Weir standing unmarked if the ball had been a yard further back.

Full Time 1 - 1

Match report written by John Briskham

Squad Statistics (as at April 7th, 2012)

2011/2012 All Time
Michael Gray (GK) - 16 - 21 -
Michael Steven22 233453
Grant Steven19 271271
Martin Gunn - 18143477
Sam Mackay23 28149041
Stewart Ross - 20 - 18117
Ross Allan18 22 - 541
Craig Shearer - 26342259
Stevie Cunningham - 321314236
Gary Manson28 26 - 37330
David Allan22 292012461
Richard Macadie (sub)24 32624784
Gary Weir (sub)14 271026790

League Table (as at April 7th, 2012)

Pld W D L +/- Pts
1. Forres Mech 30 22 4 4 +54 70
2. Cove Rangers 29 18 7 4 +39 61
3. Nairn County 28 16 8 4 +47 56
4. Inverurie Locos 28 17 3 8 +28 54
5. Fraserburgh 29 15 7 7 +18 52
6. Buckie Thistle 29 15 6 8 +21 51
7. Keith 27 15 3 9 +28 48
8. Huntly 30 14 3 13 -5 45
9. Deveronvale 27 13 4 10 +21 43
10. Lossiemouth 29 13 4 12 -1 43
11. WICK 28 12 5 11 +7 41
12. Turriff United 29 12 4 13 0 40
13. Clachnacuddin 25 8 7 10 0 31
14. Formartine Utd 28 8 7 13 -8 31
15. Rothes 28 7 3 18 -36 24
16. Brora Rangers 31 6 2 23 -65 20
17. Strathspey 30 3 2 25 -63 11
18. Fort William 27 1 3 23 -85 6