Wick Academy 3
Clachnacuddin 3

Wick Academy
3 - 3

Saturday, July 30th, 2011
Harmsworth Park
3:00 PM Kick-off

Gary Weir (13)
Michael Steven (46)
Gary Weir (60)
Allan Pollock (2)
Allan Pollock (4)
Brian MacLeod (14)

Team Managers
Davie Kirkwood
Ian Polworth

Starting Eleven
Allan Bokas
Grant Steven
Michael Steven
Craig Shearer
Stevie Cunningham
Richard Macadie
Gary Manson
Stewart Ross
Alan Farquhar
Sam Mackay
Gary Weir
Steven Dunn
Michael Finnis
Martin Callum
Struan Scott-Woodhouse
Colin Williamson
Brian MacLeod
Neil MacLeod MacDonald
Allan Pollock
Gordon Morrison
Bruce Milne
Scott Morrison

James More
Shaun Sinclair
Martin Gunn
Bryan McKiddie
Ross Allan
Neil MacDonald
Adam MacLeod
Paul Smith
Mark Dougall
Robert Donaldson

Martin Gunn for Richard Macadie (81)
Mark Dougall for Bruce Milne (71)
Neil MacDonald for Neil MacLeod MacDonald (77)

Craig Shearer (28)
Michael Steven (43)
Sam Mackay (80)
Craig Shearer 28
Michael Steven 43
Neil MacLeod MacDonald 45
Gordon Morrison 72
Sam Mackay 80
Brian MacLeod 89

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

Calumn Spence (Referee)

Match Report

This was Davie Kirkwood's first league game in charge of the Scorries and it couldn't have got off to a worse start with Allan Pollock putting the visitor 2 goals up within the first 4 minutes of play. Gary Weir pulled a goal back but Clach went straight back up-field and within the next minute Brian MacLeod restored their 2 goal cushion. In a frantic first half the scoring however didn't stop there as Michael Steven headed home in first-half injury time to put the sides in at half-time at the score standing at 2-3. In a hard fought rough and tumble second half Academy fought back to earn a point when Gary Weir toe-poked home his second of the game on the hour mark.

The visitors got off to the perfect start going 1 up with barely 2 minutes on the clock. Gordon Morrison had the ball played into feet at the edge of the box with his back to goal. He turned and slid the ball into the path of Allan Pollock who got a first time shot off at goal. Bokas parried it away but the ball fell to Pollock and he made no mistake at the second time of asking as he slotted home.

0 - 1

2 minutes later the Academy defence is caught napping as they watched the ball float over them and Allan Pollock must have thought it was his birthday as he found himself free in the middle of the box and he tucked home his second in as many minutes.

0 - 2

Academy took themselves straight back into the game with their first attempt of the game. They won a free kick about 25 yards from goal. Richard Macadie rolled the free-kick to Manson, who returned the ball to him and Macadie swung a perfect ball into the box that landed in the area between the defensive back line and the keeper for Gary Weir to run onto and smash home a bullet header.

1 - 2

Clach's response was instant as within a minute they restored their 2 goal lead. The ball was punted high into the Academy half where it bounced and found its way to Brian MacLeod in the middle of the Academy box and he had the room required to angle a shot on goal that beat Bokas.

1 - 3

The game was pretty physical with some hefty challenges coming in and following a ruckus with several players from both sides Clach's Neil MacLeod MacDonald was perhaps lucky that neither the referee nor linesman saw him take a passing kick at an Academy player.

The action continued end-to end with Clach's Gordon Morrison next to threaten when he connected with a back-post header but the attempt flashed just wide of target. At the other end the Clach keeper Steven Dunn pulled off a good one handed save as he tipped a Stevie Cunningham shot around his left hand post for a corner kick. Bokas repeated the goalkeeping heroics 2 minutes later when Morrison floated a free-kick into the Academy box and Colin Williamson rose highest to direct his header on target but Bokas got finger-tips to the ball and turned it over the top of the cross-bar.

In the last attack of the half Academy demonstrated their fighting spirit as they pulled back another goal. Alan Farquhar took the ball into the Clach half and slipped it to Manson who whipped the ball across the face of goal and Michael Steven powered home a downward header for his first goal for the Scorries.

2 - 3

Half Time 2 - 3

Clach almost started the second half like the first with a goal within the first few minutes. Bruce Milne fired a back-post cross onto the head of Allan Pollock but he sent his header over the top of the target.

On the hour mark Academy levelled the scores. Michael Steven showed good strength up the wing holding off several tackles before crossing into the box where Gary Weir slid onto the ball to to-poke home his second of the game.

3 - 3

From that point Clach started to sit back deeper and deeper into their own half and Academy could sense that the game was there for the winning. The game began to hot-up with some rough tackling flying in, but Academy continued to press Clach into their own half and with a minute left Gary Weir worked his way to the left hand edge of the Clach box, twisted and turned his defender and slid a crossed ball right along the Clach goal line, but with bodies diving in no-one could connect with the ball to turn it in.

In a final heart-stopping moment for the Harmsworth faithful a kick-out by Clach keeper Steven Dunn bounced between Stewart Ross and Craig Shearer and Gordon Morrison squeezed between them, noticed Bokas off his line, and hit the ball on the drop from about 35 yards that almost beat Bokas, but he went air-born and got a finer-tip on the ball to turn it just wide of target.

Final score 3 - 3

Match report written by John Briskham

Squad Statistics (as at July 30th, 2011)

2011/2012 All Time
Allan Bokas (GK) - 2 - 59 -
Grant Steven19 2 - 2 -
Michael Steven21 21241
Gary Manson27 2 - 34930
Richard Macadie24 2 - 21778
Stevie Cunningham - 2 - 11223
Craig Shearer - 2 - 39856
Sam Mackay22 216428
Alan Farquhar23 2 - 74 -
Stewart Ross - 2 - 16317
Gary Weir13 1224182
Martin Gunn (sub) - 2 - 41876

League Table (as at July 30th, 2011)

Pld W D L +/- Pts
1. Formartine Utd 1 1 0 0 +3 3
2. Nairn County 1 1 0 0 +3 3
3. Fraserburgh 1 1 0 0 +1 3
4. Huntly 1 1 0 0 +1 3
5. Buckie Thistle 1 1 0 0 +1 3
6. Inverurie Locos 1 1 0 0 +1 3
7. Rothes 1 1 0 0 +1 3
8. Clachnacuddin 1 0 1 0 0 1
9. WICK 1 0 1 0 0 1
10. Deveronvale 1 0 1 0 0 1
11. Forres Mech 1 0 1 0 0 1
12. Keith 1 0 0 1 -1 0
13. Fort William 1 0 0 1 -1 0
14. Cove Rangers 1 0 0 1 -1 0
15. Lossiemouth 1 0 0 1 -1 0
16. Turriff United 1 0 0 1 -1 0
17. Brora Rangers 1 0 0 1 -3 0
18. Strathspey 1 0 0 1 -3 0