Forres Mech 2
Wick Academy 2

Forres Mech 

2 - 2

Wick Academy

Saturday, January 6th, 2007
Mosset Park
3:00 PM Kick-off

Justin Rogers (25)
Charlie Brown (70)
Gary Weir (7)
David Cowie (62)

Team Managers
Unknown. Peter Budge

Starting Eleven
James Calder
Hamish Munro
Anthony Ross
Naill Calder
Christopher Ross
Gary McDonald
Simon Allan
Scott Matheson
Charles Brown
Ryan Green
Justin Rogers
James More
Stuart Sinclair
Andrew MacLeod
Shaun Sinclair
David Mowat
Gary Manson
Richard Macadie
Craig Shearer
Stewart Ross
David Cowie
Gary Weir

Neil Whyte
Charles Rowley
Scott Moore
Christopher Hardie
Robert Taylor
Daniel Bell
Neil Traill
Martin Sutherland
Grant MacNab
Shane Sutherland

Scott Moore for Scott Matheson (13)
Neil Whyte for Scott Matheson (85)
Christopher Hardie for Anthony Ross (88)
Shane Sutherland for Gary Weir (77)

Simon Allan (24)
James Calder (72)
Gary Manson (1)
David Mowat (38)
Gary Manson (73)

Red Cards
None. Gary Manson (73)
Shaun Sinclair (95)

Match Officials

David Watt (Referee)

Match Report

In a match full of controversial incidents Forres twice came from behind to earn a draw at Mosset Park. Wick started with a changed formation, with David Mowat partnering Craig Shearer in the middle of the field, and David Cowie made his 100th league appearance in Academy colours.

Referee Watt set the tone of the game as early as the 1st minute when Gary Manson was booked for dissent after disagreeing with an early free-kick decision.

Forres had the first attempt on goal in the 4th minute. Andrew MacLeod cleared a cross into the box for a corner kick. Scott Matheson played a short corner to Charlie Brown, who cut inside and fired his shot low into the side-netting.

Wick forced their first corner 2 minutes later, and David Cowie played the ball to the back post where Gary Weir and David Mowat both looked candidates to get a header on target, but veteran keeper James Calder rose well and plucked the ball off their heads.

Wick then took the lead in the 7th minute. Craig Shearer split the can-cans defence for Richard Macadie to play in Gary Weir, and Weir slid the ball low under Calder’s body from about 12 yards out with a cool finish.

0 – 1

4 minutes later Forres should have levelled the game. Scott Matheson played a great ball from the middle of the park down the right wing for Justin Rogers who hit the by-line and fired in a low ball across the Academy goal. Gary McDonald steamed in at the back post and connected well with the ball, but his shot went wide of Mores right hand post, when he really should have buried it.

A few minutes after that attack the Forres manager Winton made a change with Matheson coming off, presumably with an injury, for Scott Moore.

Both David Cowie and David Mowat had half-chances in the 18th and 19th minutes, but both players fired their shooting attempts high over the cross-bar from just outside the Forres box.

Referee Watt continue to flash his cards, when he booked Simon Allan for a sliding challenge on David Mowat

Forres levelled the game in the 25th minute. Young defender Stuart Sinclair made a good defensive header, clearing a Forres cross for a corner kick. The resulting corner was not cleared properly by the Academy defence, and it fell to Justin Rogers who volleyed it home from 9 yards out.

1 – 1

Good defensive play by Hamish Munro denied Academy the chance to pull ahead on the half-hour mark. Weir and Macadie linked up well on the edge of the Forres box, but Munro was strong in nicking the ball off Macadie’s toes, or he would have been in on goal.

4 minutes later and Weir again played Macadie in on goal, and Munro once more denied Macadie by getting a good block on his shot.

Referee Watt produce the 3rd yellow card of the half in the 38th minute, when Stuart Sinclair[Correction] David Mowat was needlessly booked for having a swipe at the heels of Simon Allan, as the ball was going out of play for a throw-in.

With 4 minutes of the half left Academy were really pushing for another goal. Macadie played a cross from the right hand side of the park into the Forres box, and both Weir and Shearer had powerful shots at goal, but both attempts were blocked by good defensive blocks from the Forres defence.

In the last attempt of the half David Cowie showed some great wing-play, before firing in the ball across the Forres goal-line, and Weir almost bundled it home from 4 yards out, but Chris Ross managed to thwart him by turning the ball wide around the post.

Half Time 1 – 1

Forres started the second half with a good attacking move, and defender Anthony Ross had a 25 yard drive at goal, which Stewart Ross got a foot to, and turned it over for a corner-kick. Justin Rogers was un-marked on the edge of the Academy box, and from the corner he got his shot on target, but More got down well to make the save.

Forres continued to press and in the 57th minute Justin Rogers had a surging run at the Academy defence, and Andrew MacLeod took him down at the edge of the Academy box. The resulting free-kick went ping-pong in the Academy box, before Stewart Ross eventually cleared the danger.

3 minutes later and Forres again pressured the Academy defence. Simon Allan started the attack with a good right foot shot from 20 yards, which More saved low down to his left post, turning it for a corner. MacLeod cleared the resulting corner for yet another corner-kick, but the attack ended when Justin Rogers fired his attempted shot at goal high over the top of the Academy cross-bar.

Wick took the lead against the run of play in the 62nd minute. A defensive mix-up between Anthony Ross and keeper Calder, under no real pressure, saw David Cowie sneak in to nick the ball and fire home into an empty net, for a great way to celebrate his 100th league appearance.

1 – 2

4 minutes later and Wick were now having the better of the attacking play, and Weir played a good cross into Macadie, but Macadie just couldn’t reach the ball.

With 20 minutes of the game left Wick returned the favour, and presented Forres with their equaliser. This time a defensive mix-up between More and MacLeod saw Charlie Brown at hand to snap the ball up, and he stroked the ball home into an empty net.

2 – 2

3 minutes later and Academy stormed back at the Forres defence. A through pass saw Macadie and keeper Calder in a straight race for the ball, and with Calder well out his area, Macadie went to go around him with the ball, and Calder took him out of play with a dive at his feet. In what looked to be a certain sending off for the keeper, referee Watt only produced the yellow card. The back three Forres defenders were level with the incident, and had Macadie got round the keeper he would have had an empty net to aim for from about 30 yards out. As such it appeared as if Calder was the last man, and he denied a clear goal scoring opportunity, so was very luck to stay on the park.

Further controversy followed, as Academy took the free-kick the lines-man flagged for an off-side. Play stopped as the lines-man called the referee over, and after some debate referee Watt marched back onto the field, singled out Gary Manson, and gave him a second yellow and an early bath, the assumption being punishment for dissent.

This turned the game, and Forres started to make good use of the extra man. Simon Allan forced a great save from More in the 76th minute, with More turning Allans 25 yard free-kick drive over the cross-bar with a finger-tip save.

In a tense finish for the Academy supporters, Justin Rogers was next to try his luck, and he held his head in his hands as his 30 yard scorcher cannoned back off the Wick cross-bar.

In injury time Wick had a chance to win the game. Craig Shearer did well to hold off Simon Allan in the middle of the field, and he split the Forres defence with a through pass to David Cowie, but to the anguish of the Academy players referee Watt blew for a free-kick in favour of Shearer, when if he had played advantage Cowie was through one-on-one with keeper Calder.

Full Time 2 - 2

So a match full of talking-points, and Wick doing well to hold onto a draw after playing the last 20 minutes of the game with only 10 men. Academy are at home to Cove Rangers next weekend, and must look to continue to turn their games in-hand over the other teams around them into points, and hopefully move up the league.

Match report written by John Briskham

Squad Statistics (as at January 6th, 2007)

2006/2007 All Time
James More (GK)18 10 - 16 -
Shaun Sinclair - 16 - 39 -
Andrew MacLeod - 1811665
Stuart Sinclair - 5 - 7 -
David Mowat - 16 - 57 -
Gary Manson23 17219514
Stewart Ross - 13 - 658
Craig Shearer - 18725027
Richard Macadie19 193493
Gary Weir9 1759014
David Cowie - 1811237
Shane Sutherland (sub) - 102102

League Table (as at January 6th, 2007)

Pld W D L +/- Pts
1. Buckie Thistle 15 11 4 0 +21 37
2. Huntly 17 11 2 4 +23 35
3. Inverurie Locos 15 11 1 3 +14 34
4. Keith 15 10 2 3 +13 32
5. Cove Rangers 16 9 3 4 +14 30
6. Deveronvale 16 9 2 5 +16 29
7. Clachnacuddin 18 8 4 6 +13 28
8. Nairn County 17 7 3 7 +8 24
9. Rothes 17 7 0 10 -6 21
10. Fraserburgh 13 5 3 5 +7 18
11. Forres Mech 17 3 4 10 -16 13
12. Brora Rangers 17 4 1 12 -29 13
13. WICK 14 3 1 10 -19 10
14. Lossiemouth 17 2 2 13 -26 8
15. Fort William 12 2 0 10 -33 6