Whitehill Welfare 4 - WAFC 3

 30th October 2010 - Scottish Cup Second Round  Ferguson Park, Rosewell
 Whitehill Welfare F.C.  4 (Scott Gormley 17, Darryl Devlin 48, 52, Ross Allum 51)

Whitehill Welfare

Team: Youssef Benjaoui, Alan Cornettycard, Kev Morrison, Willie Kiddycard, Mikey Adamson, Jordan Hallycard(Daniel Taylor 75), Ross Allumycard, Darren McGlashan, Scott Gormleyycard(Jordan Caddow 55), Andrew Kidd, Darryl Devlin.

Subs: Scott Haldane, Jordan Caddow, Daniel Taylor, Willie Lunn, Steven Robertson.

 Wick Academy F.C.  3 (Richard Macadie 32, 65, 84)


Team: Alan Bokas, Shaun Sinclair(Shane Sutherland 90), Gary Manson, Alan Farquhar, Joe Steven, Craig Shearer, Stevie Cunningham, Sam Mackay(Martin Gunn 86), David Allan, Richard Macadie, Gary Weir.

Subs: Gordon Clark, Martin Gunn, Andrew MacLeod, Shane Sutherland, Bryan McKiddie.

 Referee:  John Beaton
 Bookings:  Alan Cornett 32
 Scott Gormley 38
 Jordan Hall 45
 Willie Kidd 59
 Ross Allum 76

Academy's game at Ferguson Park got under-way at the second time of asking, after the game last weekend was abandoned due to a water-logged pitch. Unfortunately 3 goals from the home side in a 5 minute spell in the second half put paid to Academy's Scottish Cup run.

The home side broke the deadlock in 17 minutes when striker Scott Gormley managed to forced the ball home low under the body of Bokas.

Gormley had the chance to double the lead less than 5 minutes later when Alan Farquhar was adjudged by referee John Beaton to have committed a foul in the box, but Gormleys' penalty kick was saved by Bokas who flung himself to his right to make an excellent block.

This seemed to lift the Scorries and David Allan had a great chance to level the scores when he went one-on-one with keeper Benjaoui, but the home keeper managed to block the ball and the danger was cleared.

Academy did however go on and level the scores with just over half and hour played. They won a free-kick at the edge of the Whitehill box and Richard Macadie curled a 20 yard scorcher into the top corner of the net.

Half time: Whitehill Welfare 1 Wick Academy 1

3 minutes after the break the home side started their goal spree. Jordan Hill was taken down in the box and Whitehill were awarded their second penalty of the game. This time Daryl Devlin took the spot kick and he slotted home into the left corner of Bokas's goal.

Two minutes later Ross Allum found himself unmarked at the back post. Bokas failed to clear the crossed ball and Allum fired the ball home.

Worse to come for the Scorries when Devilin scored his second, and Whitehill's 4th. Devlin ran onto a through ball and hammered the ball home past an outstretched Bokas.

Academy though were not done and in the 65th minute another free-kick was awarded and Macadie stepped up to the plate again. This time he drove the ball home low through the wall and into the bottom corner of the net. Game on!

Academy threw everything at Whitehill David Allan and Craig Shearer had good chances to pull another back, but with six minutes plus injury time left Macadie scored his hat-trick. David Allan slid a prefect pass into feet and Macadie made no mistake scoring with a clinical finish.

Wick committed men forward in an attempt to take the tie to a re-play, and almost suffered for it as Whitehill brok up-field and Devlin was played into the box with the goal at his mercy but Bokas pulled off another great save.

A great attempt by Academy but time ran out and referee Beaton blew for full time. Whitehill now go on to face Montrose in an away tie in round three, and Academy are back to league business next weekend as we welcome visitors Fort William to the Harmsworth.

Full time - Whitehill Welfare 4 - Wick Academy 3.