Buckie 3 - WAFC 1

14th August 2010 - League  Victoria Park, Buckie
 Buckie Thisle F.C.  3 (Craig MacMillan 55 Pen, Hamish Munro 60, Ian Murray 87 Pen)


Team:  Kevin Main, Chris Angus, Robert Duncan, Lewis MacKinnonycard, Kevin Small, Robert Brown(Donnie Munro 39, Andy Low 45), Paul Napier, Hamish Munro, Ian Murray, Craig MacMillan(Martin Charlesworth 73), Jamie Shewan.

Subs: Andy Low, Martin Charlesworth, Zander Sutherland, Donnie Munro, Darren Strong.

 Wick Academy F.C.  1 (Stevie Cunningham 25)


Team: Alan Bokas, Shaun Sinclair, Gary Mansonycard(Grant Campbell 62), Alan Farquharycard, Bryan McKiddie(Stuart Florence 85), Craig Shearerycard, Martin Gunnycard, Sam Mackayycard, Gary Weir, Richard Macadie, Stevie Cunningham.

Subs: Grant Campbell, Stuart Florence.

 Referee:  Bryan Braidwood
 Bookings:  Gary Manson 55
 Sam Mackay 56
 Alan Farquhar 60
 Lewis MacKinnon 80
 Craig Shearer 87
 Martin Gunn 87
 Reporter:  Ken Wood

Play went swiftly from end to end in the first ten minutes. A Wick corner was cleared along the Buckie left wing and chased by Craig MacMillan into the box

where Alan Farquhar kicked it against the striker's shins for a goal kick. Jags keeper Kevin Main dashed from his line to kick the ball away from Stevie Cuningham. After Jamie Shewan fired over the bar Academy launched a slick counter raid, Sam Mackay racing along the left to drive the ball across the face of Main's goal. Richard Macadie regained possession out on the right turning the ball back inside to Cunningham whose 15 yard effort was kicked off the line by Lewis MacKinnon. When a pass from Cunningham gave Mackay the chance to drill the ball in low from 10 yards out on the left, the ball went between Main's legs but again MacKinnon was on the line to prevent a goal. Wick keeper Alan Bokas was called into action for the first time to fist away a cross from right winger Paul Napier.

In the 15th minute Mackay thought he had scored with a strike that went in off the underside of the bar but it was ruled offside. The visitors were now dominating proceedings and Mackay set up Gary Weir who delayed too long and had to pass to Macadie whose shot along the ground was fielded by Main. Bryan McKiddie and Martin Gunn took the ball forward on the Academy right only for a probing pass to roll through to Main.

Ian Murray initiated a couple of raids on the right from Napier. Bokas caught the first cross at his near post, Farquhar cut out Napier's next effort at the expense of a corner from which Jamie Shewan's powerful downward header was saved by Bokas at the base of the post.

In the 23rd minute Gary Manson took the ball along the Wick left and slipped it in to Cunningham whose first shot was blocked. The youngster kept his cool to steer the rebound low past Main from 8 yards and give the visitors a deserved lead.

McKiddie won a corner on the Wick right but Macadie's low drive to the near post ended up in the side netting. Academy continued to control the game without forcing another break through. The Jags responded with occasional raids from Napier and on the half hour he hoisted a cross into the goalmouth where a great defensive header from Craig Shearer deflected it away from the Buckie forwards.

Manson flighted a 50 yard free kick down the Wick left to pick out a run by Cunningham but a group of green and white defenders forced the ball out of play.

Manson was back on defensive duty to stop a powerful header from Donnie Munro and track another darting touch line burst by Napier.

The Scorries were in charge for the last ten minutes before the break, good work on the right by McKiddie and Cunningham creating an opening for Macadie whose effort was charged down point blank on the 18 yard line. Buckie defenders McKinnon and Kevin Small collided as they jumped together for a spiralling high ball 25 yards in front of goal and Cunningham seized on the loose ball and moved forward on the right, crossing to Mackay whose 10 yard shot from a tight angle was scrambled away at the near post.

Half time 0 - 1

MacMillan had a chance to equalise after just two minutes of the second half but from near the penalty spot curled a right foot chip past the top corner of the target. In the 49th minute the Buckie striker had carbon copy opportunity and this time kept his shot low, Bokas diving to his left to grab the ball inside the post.

Buckie new found enthusiasm was rewarded in the 53rd minute though in fortuitous and controversial circumstances. When Gunn drove the ball through the middle it rebounded from referee Bryan Braidwood's back and fell to Andy Low who swept a pass wide left to Shewan. A deep cross reached Napier at the far side of the box and he unleashed a vicious volley that struck Manson, 5 yards away on the upper arm. "Penalty!" indicated Mr Braidwood and after Manson was booked for protesting, MacMillan duly dispatched the spot kick low into the corner of the net to the right of Bokas.

Worse was to follow for the luckless Scorries. Mackay was cautioned for a sliding tackle on the halfway line, though he appeared to have won possession. The ball went up the Buckie left and through to Murray, whose shot was pushed away by Bokas diving forward to his left and fell at the feet of Hamish Munro who gratefully steered it into the unguarded net.

Farquhar slid in to win a 50-50 challenge as MacMillan chased a through ball on the Buckie left and when the striker went down with an ankle injury the ref. showed the Wick defender his yellow card. Robert Duncan's free kick high to the back post was deflected for a corner. Murray's elbow caught Farquhar on the neck as the pair contested a loose ball - free kick to Wick and word of warning but no booking for

the striker.

Academy enjoyed a spell of possession midway though the half and twice Main had to deal with long range shots from Mackay. After a 70th minute Wick corner was headed clear, Gunn pushed it forward again to Cunningham. A short pass set up Macadie on the 18 yard line but he sliced his shot hastily wide.

At the other end Shearer cleared Murray's cross with a well judged header and

The ball went forward to Gunn whose 25 yard drive was palmed down and grabbed at the second attempt by Main.

When Weir surged up the right and was tripped 30 yards from goal by Lewis MacKinnon who became the first Buckie player who was booked, he fired the free kick low on target but not hard enough to trouble Main.

With ten minutes left Buckie kept possession for a spell until Murray backed into Shearer. The Jags almost increased their lead in the 86th minute but Shearer blocked a Murray effort on the line.

Mackay was victim of a clumsy late challenge by Low and after Shearer was booked for his angry reaction the assistant referee indicated a Buckie free kick. The ball was thrown towards Gunn who punched it away in disgust to become the fifth Academy booked during a frustrating second half. The free kick went up the right and when the ball was crossed to the penalty spot it was too high for Gunn and Munro, jumping together to try to head it. Munro fell and to the disbelief and anger of the away fans was awarded a penalty. Murray netted from the spot and the game was over though Grant Campbell forward on the right had a left foot shot deflected to earn one last Wick corner from which Main made another fine catch.

Full Time 3 - 1

So penalty kicks were Academy's friend in mid-week, but their downfall today, and they will feel aggrieved to be coming up the road with nothing to show for their efforts.