Thurso 2 - WAFC 2 (4 - 5 Penalties)

11th August 2010 - NOS Cup Quarter Final  Harmsworth Park, Wick
 Thurso F.C.  2 (Andrew Bremner 45+2, Mark Nichol 89)


Team:  Michael Gray, Martin Sutherland(Philip MacKhouli 69), Blair MacIntosh, Grant Steven, Andrew Bremnerycard, Chris Wannycard, Wayne Monkman, Jamie MacKenzie, Mark Nichol, Grant Budge(James Murray 41), Lee MacDougal.

Subs: James Murray, James MacLean, Philip MacKhouli, Michael Petrie, Ross Sutherland.

 Wick Academy F.C.  2 (Gary Weir 28, Stevie Cunningham 31)


Team: Alan Bokas, Shaun Sinclairycard, Gary Manson, Alan Farquhar, Alex Lamb, Craig Shearer, Martin Gunn, Gary Weirycard, David Allan(Bryan McKiddie 30), Richard Macadie, Stevie Cunningham(Andrew MacLeod 80).

Subs: Andrew MacLeod, Bryan McKiddie.

 Referee:  Graham Fraser
Bookings:  Andrew Bremner 2
 Chris Wann 59
 Gary Weir 69
 Shaun Sinclair 90+10

Academy and Thurso met for the first time in a competitive match and the North Caledonian League side gave the Scorries a real test. The draw was scheduled for playing in Thurso but was switched to the Harmsworth Park as Thurso have no floodlights.

Academy pressed from the start and within the first 2 minutes Thurso's Andrew Bremner got a booking for a deliberate hand-ball. Macadie took the 25 yard free kick and got it over the wall forcing Gray to dive across and palm it round his post for a corner.

8 minutes later Macadie drove up the wing and whipped a wicked ball into the Thurso box but Weir just couldn't make an extra inch to reach it at the far post.

3 minutes later David Allan beat the off-side trap and pushed the ball wide out to Weir who attempted to chip keeper Gray but he put his effort over the top of the target.

In the next attack Cunningham linked with David Allan who again beat the off-side trap but his left foot shot scuffed the outside Gray's left hand post.

Academy were playing the better football at this stage and they launched another attack. Gunn chipped the ball over the top of the Thurso defence and Macadie managed to latch onto the end of hit but he fired his shot straight at Gray.

Thurso had their first real attempt on target with 19 minutes played. Monkman played in Jamie MacKenzie and he got his shot on target but Bokas managed to beat it out.

Thurso began to settle into the game and launched another attack up-field. This time MacDougal swung a perfect cross into the middle of the Academy box and Bokas did well to stretch to the ball and pinch it off the head of Monkman.

The play started to open up and Academy were next to threaten. Good link up play between Manson and Cunningham who squared the ball for Weir in the box but he couldn't keep his over-head kick down and it sailed over the cross-bar.

At the other end Martin Sutherland made a good run up the wing breaking Academy tackles before crossing to Monkman but he directed his header straight at Bokas.

Academy broke the dead-lock with 28 minutes played.  Macadie slid the ball down the right flank for Cunningham to chase. He gathered the ball and cut inside his defender before driving the ball across goal for Weir to slide in and send it over the line.

0 - 1

Bad news however for the Harmsworth faithful 2 minutes later when live-wire David Allan looked to have pulled a ham-string and he was replaced by Bryan McKiddie.

Academy doubled their lead seconds after making the substitution. Shearer slid the pass through the middle of the Vikings defence for Cunningham who sipped over two tackles and fired home past an out-stretched Gray.

0 - 2

So 2 up and almost half-time, but the Vikings pulled themselves straight back into the game. They won a corner on the right which lead to a scramble in the Academy box before Andrew Bremner made contact with the ball and poked it home.

1 - 2

Half Time 1 - 2

6 minutes into the re-start Academy pressed the Thurso defence and Manson won the ball, played a neat one-two with Macadie and he rifled a shot on target that Gray looked to get finger tips to sending it round the post.

At the other end Alan Farquhar made a great defensive tackle in the box timing his challenge to perfection and clearing the ball from the feet of Monkman.

End to end stuff now as Thurso started to really settle on the ball. Wann broke up-field and squared to Nichol but the ex-Academy striker shot high of target.

In the next attack the Thurso defence cleared a long ball out of defence which fell to Martin Gunn on the volley 25 yards from goal but he held his head in his hands as his thunder-bolt shot flew just wide of Gray's right hand post.

Substitute MacKiddie was next in of the act when he picked the ball up in the middle of the Thurso box but the ball got caught up under his feet and he scuffed his shot straight into the arms of Gray.

Thurso sensed they could still take something out of the game and were having a real go by this stage. Manson broke up a Thurso attack on the left wing but conceded a free-kick in the process.  MacDougal fired the free-kick into the Academy box  Mark Nichol managed to get a swing at it and it seemed to take a deflection and looped high into the air and over the top of a back-pedalling Bokas and into the net to give the Vikings a well deserver equaliser.

2 - 2

In the last action of the half MacDougal put his lacers through a 35 yard shot that skipped off the wet surface in front of Bokas but the Academy keeped did well to get his body behind it and gather it safely.

Full Time 2 - 2

With no extra time in the competition it went straight to penalty kicks.

The tale of the spot kicks went as follows:

1. Thurso - James Murray - Bokas saved.

2. Wick - Gary Weir - Scored.

3. Thurso - Mark Nichol - Scored.

4. Wick - Martin Gunn - missed - shot wide of target.

5. Thurso - Wayne Monkman - Scored.

6. Wick - Bryan McKiddie - Scored.

7. Thurso - Andrew Bremner - Scored.

8. Wick - Gary Manson - Scored.

9. Thurso - Blair MacIntosh - Scored.

10. Wick - Richard Macadie - Scored.

So 4 - 4 and sudden death.

11. Thurso - Jamie MacKenzie - Missed - shot high over the net.

12. Wick - Alan Farquhar - Scored - to win the game for Academy.

Score after penalties - Thurso 4 - Academy 5

The win sets up up an incredible fourth successive North of Scotland Cup semi final clash with Inverness CT. We have lost all three of our previous semis with ICT so are hoping for a change in fortune this time around. The tie is scheduled to be played in Inverness on the 24th or 25th of August.

Pictures from the game can be viewed in the WAFC photo gallery.