Forres 2 - WAFC 1

28th July 2010 -NOS Cup 1st Round  Harmsworth Park, Wick
 Forres Mechanics F.C.  2 (Scott Moore 48, Simon Allan 70)

Forres Team:  Stuart Knightycard, Simon Allanycard, Kevin Shortreed, Kyle Scott, Nathan Sharp, Ross MacPherson, Neil Whyte(Chris Grant 89), Bruce Milne, Iain Penwright(Duncan Jones 73), Kevin Duguid(Matthew Fraser 65), Scott Moore.

Subs: Matthew Fraser, Chris Grant, Scott Robinson, Suncan Jones, Martin Tatlor.

 Wick Academy F.C.  1 (Gary Weir Pen 77)

WAFC HomeTeam: Alan Bokas, Shaun Sinclair, Gary Manson, Alan Farquhar, Alex Lambycard, Craig Shearer, Bryan McKiddie(Gary Weir 67), Sam Mackay(Martin Gunn 67), David Allan, Richard Macadie, Stevie Cunningham(Ross Allan 81).

Subs: Martin Gunn, Gary Weir, Ross Allan, Michael Stephen, Grant Campbell.

 Referee:  Scott MacDonald
Bookings:  Stuart Knight 77
 Simon Allan 79
 Alex Lamb 85

Wick Academy co-managers Ian Munro and Richard Hughes, although disappointed by this defeat at Mosset Park in Saturday's opening Scot-Ads Highland League game, were upbeat about their team's overall performance.

Munro said: "We actually played really well especially in the first half."

Academy survived a scare in the second minute when a corner from the Forres right was flicked along the six yard line to big defender Nathan Sharp whose drive was scrambled away. The Scorries soon had a couple of corners of their own before a good passing move across and forward saw Stevie Cunningham fire just past the top corner.

In the 12th minute Richard Macadie on the left collected a long accurate clearance from keeper Alan Bokas, played a quick one-two with Sam Mackay and cut inside to unleash a swerving drive which flashed past the near upright.

In the 21st minute Cunningham darted into the heart of the home defence and the resultant corner led to a desperate goalmouth scramble. Five minutes later Craig Shearer ran onto a high through ball with the Can Cans' defence caught flatfooted hoping for offside. He lobbed the ball delicately over the head of advancing keeper Stuart Knight only for it to bounce onto the top of the bar and nestle on the roof of the net.

Stung into action Forres launched a quick break and Neil Whyte's 22 yard effort whistled past Bokas' left hand post.

Mackay needed treatment after a midfield collision and although he no longer accelerated so smoothly past opponents he was still fully involved as the Scorries continued to stroke the ball around. Five minutes before the break Wick striker Davie Allan ran clear and rounded keeper Knight but was forced out to the right when defenders dashed back. Head over the ball the Wick striker retained possession, doubled back and shot on target but Knight was back on his line to catch the ball.

The final action of the half was a 25 yard strike from Kevin Duguid, Bokas diving to his left to push the ball round the post.

The whole pattern of the game changed after just three minutes of the second half when Scott Moore took a couple of strides with the ball on the Forres left and beat Bokas with a 25 yard drive.

Now it was Academy who struggled to construct effective passing moves while the Mechanics passed and ran more confidently.

The Wick managers made a double substitution at the midway point of the half.  However within a further three minutes Forres doubled their lead. Deadball specialist Simon Allan lashed a thirty yard free kick shoulder high past the Wick wall, swerving the ball into the top corner of the net beyond Bokas' outstretched left hand.

Academy battled gamely on and appealed for a penalty when Alan Farquhar was barged off the ball. Referee Scott MacDonald saw it differently but awarded a spot kick a few minutes later when Gary Weir went down eight yards from goal as he pursued a defence-splitting pass from Martin Gunn. Knight was booked for kicking the ball out of the ground but Weir was eager to take the penalty and duly thumped it low to Knight's right as the keeper dived the other way. Forres fullback Allan was booked for delaying a free kick as Wick regained the upper hand. In stoppage time Gary Manson floated a 35 yard free kick into the Forres goalmouth where Kyle Scott headed it behind for a corner on the left. This was cleared only to Gunn out on the Wick right and he drove in a low cross which was deflected out of the area as time ran out.

One down and thirty three to go in the new SHFL campaign, Forres and the other first day winners will obviously be happier than Academy and other losing teams.

Full Time Forres 2 - Wick Academy 1