Deveronvale 3 - WAFC 4

3rd April 2010 - League Princess Royal Park, Deveronvale
 DeveronvaleDeveronvale F.C.  3 (Graeme Watt 15, 40, Stephen Gauld 74)

 Team:  James Blanchard, Derek Milne, Steve Dolan, Mark Chisholm(Graeme Rodger 61), Scott Fraser, Bryan Dlugonski, Mark Smithycard, Dean Cowie, Mike McKenzie, Gary McGowan(Stephen Gauld 53), Graeme Watt.

 Subs: Graeme Rodger, Stephen Gauld, Michele Lombardi, Magnus Barclay, Derek McKenzie.

 WAFC_homeWick Academy F.C.  4 (Gary Weir 13, David Allan 18, 66, Sam Mackay Pen 46)

 Team: Alan Bokas, Stevie Cunningham(Andrew Macleod 90), Gary Manson, Alan Farquhar, Stewart Ross, Craig Shearer, Martin Gunn, Sam Mackay, David Allan, Richard Macadieycard, Gary Weir(Ross Allan 82).

Subs: Andrew Macleod, David Cowie, Ross Allan, Ciaran Duffy, Daniel Budge. 

 Referee: Roddy Cobb
 Bookings: Mark Smith 54
Richard Macadie 80
 Reporter: Alan Farquhar

Academy beat Deveronvale today at Princess Royal Park for only the second time in a league game. The last time we beat them in the league on their home patch was more than 15 years ago on the 30th Sept 1995. On that day we won 1-0 with Alan Duff scoring the winner under manager Don Cowie. A total of 7 goals were scored today, with Academy bagging 4 of them. Gary Weir opened the scoring in the 13th minute, David Allan chalked a double to take his total goal tally for the season to 26, one behind the front runner Gordon Morrison, and Sam Mackay haunted his former club scoring from the penalty spot.

The game started at a cracking pace and produced three goals within the first 20 minutes. Academy opened the scoring when Stevie Cunningham cut inside Steve Dolan and picked out Gary Weir at the back post with an inch perfect cross and Weir made no mistake slotting home from close range with the side of his foot.

0 - 1

Vale responded in typical fashion levelling the scores within the space of 2 minutes. Academy failed to clear their lines and Mike McKenzie slid the ball into Graham Watt and he curled his attempt from 16 yards into the top corner of the Academy net.

1 - 1

Academy went ahead again in their next attack. Weir's 20 yard lob smacked off the underside of the Vale cross-bar and David Allan ran in to head home the re-bound into an empty net from 4 yards out.

1 -2

Graeme Watt put the teams into the half-time break all square. Martin Gunn surrender possession of the ball in mid-field and Mike McKenzie slid the ball through to Watt and he slammed the ball low under Bokas from 16 yards out.

2 - 2

Half Time 2 - 2

Academy went back into the lead a minute after the re-start. David Allan burst into the Vale box. Keeper Blanchard seemed to hesitate and by the time he came for the ball Allan had it at his feet and went to round him. Blanchard pulled him down and referee Cobb pointed to the spot. Sam Mackay stepped up and found the net from the spot-kick.

2 - 3

Dean Cowie almost levelled the scores again but for a fine save by Alan Bokas as he went air-born and tipped the shot around the post.

Academy increased their lead in the 66th minute. Weir was having a superb game playing a bit deeper behind David Allan and he supplied a great pass for Sam Mackay who in turn fed Allan who took his time and picked his spot from 20 yards out with a low left foot shot that beat Blanchard.

2 - 4

So game safe with a 2 goal lead, not a chance! Vale showed their fighting quality and pulled another one back to set up a tense last 15 minutes. Bokas managed to get a block on a shot following a bit of a scramble in the box and the ball fell for substitute Stephen Gauld and he made no mistake, scoring from 6 yards out.

3 - 4

Vale threw all they had at Wick for the remainder of the game and almost earned a point when big Scottie Fraser managed to get his head to a crossed ball but he couldn't keep it down and it went high of target.

Referee Cobb seemed to play a excessive period of extra time but the Scorries managed to hold on for a well deserved victory. Gary Weir was announced as the sponsor man of the match.

Final Score 3 - 4