Forres 3 - WAFC 0

20th March 2010 - Foster's Highland League Cup 1st Round Mosset Park, Forres
 forres_mechanicsForres Mechanics F.C.  3 (Scott Moore 20, Ricky Wardrop 52, Martin Gunn OG 86)

 Team:  Stuart Knight, Bruce Milne, Graeme Shinnie, Graeme Grant, Nathan Sharp, Ross MacPhersonycard, Neil Whyte, Kyle Scott(Fraser Bremner 70), Ricky Wardrop, Ryan Green(Ian Penwright 86), Scott Moore(David Chambers 82).

 Subs: Fraser Bremner, Simon Allan, David Chambers, Ian Penwright, Ross Harkness.

 wickWick Academy F.C.  0 

 Team: Alan Bokas, Shaun Sinclair, Gary Mansonycard, Alan Farquhar, Andrew Macleodycard, Bryan McKiddie(Stevie Cunningham 65ycard), Martin Gunn, Sam Mackay, David Allanycard, Richard Macadie, Gary Weir(Ross Allan 82).

Subs: Stevie Cunningham, Davie Cowie, Ross Allan, Ciaran Duffy, Daniel Budge. 

 Referee: Bryan Braidwood
 Bookings: Gary Manson 35
Andrew MacLeod 57
Ross McPherson 58
David Allan 89
Stevie Cunningham 91

Academy were dumped out of the HL Cup by Forres at Mosset Park. It was a game that in truth Forres were the better side and the Can Cans now face a home tie to Inverurie Locos in the next round.


The first half chance of the game fell to Forres after 17 minutes played. Bokas sent a kick-out straight to Ryan Green on the half way line and with the Academy keeper well off his line Green attempted a cheeky chip but he sent his effort wide of the target.


Forres opened the scoring 3 minutes later. They won a corner which was floated into the box by Graeme Shinnie. It darted off several heads before reaching Scott More and he nodded home from close range through a packed goal-line.


1 - 0


It took 25 minutes for Academy to muster their first real goal threat. Mackay played Macadie into the box and chipped keeper Stuart Knight but the ball squirmed wide of target.


Gary Manson was booked in 35 minutes for protesting when referee Braidwood awarded Forres a free-kick  and the Can Cans almost capitalised from it. Graeme Grant floated it into the Academy box and Ricky Wardrop rose the highest to get his head to the ball but his effort flashed just past the base of Bokas's right hand post.


McKiddie forced Stuart Knight into a good save as he turned his effort around the post for a corner, and that concluded the first half.


Half Time 1 - 0



Academy started a lot sharper in the second half and within 4 minutes they had the ball in the Forres box. Mackay crossed it in and a Macadie effort was blocked by the feet of keeper Knight for another corner. It was swung in again and Farquhar tried a neat over-head kick which was again tipped for a corner by keeper Knight.


In the 52nd minute Ricky Wardrop doubled Forres's lead. He latched onto a cross-field ball from Graeme Shinnie  getting in between the Academy back-line. He let the ball bounce and on the half-volley unleashed a terrific right foot shot that went smoking into the top corner of the net.


2 - 0


Mackay had the ball in the net for the Scorries in the 67th minute but to the disappointment of the travelling Academy supporters the goal was chalked off for off-side.


This was Academy's best spell of the game as they applied some pressure on the Forres defence. David Allan had a powerful shot blocked on the line by keeper Knight, and he then got quickly to his feet to deny Macadie who followed in with another effort.


Forres put the game beyond any doubt with 4 minutes left. Neil Whyte broke into the Academy half and swung a dangerous cross into the Academy box. With Ryan Green poised to get onto the end of it Martin Gunn tried to head the ball clear of danger but it flew into his own net for an un-fortunate own-goal.

3 - 0


Referee Braidwood booked 4 Academy players in the game with Cunningham being the last to go in the book for back-chat after the final whistle had blown.


Full Time 3 - 0