WAFC 4 - Brechin 4

28th November 2009 - Scottish Cup 3rd Round
 Harmsworth Park, Wick
 wick.gifWick Academy F.C.  4 (David Allan 6, 44, Sam Mackay 42, 60 (Pen))

 Team:  Alan Bokas, Grant Campbell, Gary Manson, Stewart Ross, Andrew MacLeod, Craig Shearer, Alan Farquhar, Sam Mackay, David Allan, Richard Macadie, Stevie Cunningham.

 Subs: David Cowie, Bryan McKiddie, Shaun Sinclair, Ross Allan, Daniel Budge. 

 deveronvaleBrechin City F.C.  4 (Charlie King 12, 85 Kevin Byers 17, Rory McAllister 75)

 Team: Craig Nelsonycard, Richard Walker, William Dyre,Paul McLean, John Seeley, Barry Smith, Charlie King, Neil Janczyk(Mark Cowan 75), Rory McAllister, Kris Reton(Gary Fusco 59), Kevin Byers(Mark Docherty 75).

Subs: Mark Cowan, Mark Docherty, Gary Fusco, Sean McKenna, David Scott.

 Referee:  Colin Brown
 Bookings:  Craig Nelson 59
 Match Associate Sponsors Man of the Match:  David Allan

A bumper crowd of 1,217 packed into the Harmsworth Park for today's game against SFL 2nd Division side Brechin City, and Academy did the county proud by putting on a fantastic footballing performance. Academy found themselves 4-2 up with 16 minutes left to play, but Brechin somehow got themselves out of jail with 2 late goals to tie the game and take the replay back to Glebe Park next Saturday.

After a heavy downpour through the night the game looked to be in doubt come 8:00am on the Saturday morning, as the bottom half of the park had a lot of surface water lying on it. A fantastic rallying effort by some 30 volunteers, including the Wick Fire Brigade, saw the bulk of it cleared off by 12:00am, and much to everyone's relief referee Colin Brown gave the thumbs up and the game was on.

Academy stared with the same line-up that defeated Keith in a 7 goal thriller last weekend.

Playing up the slope for the first half Academy got right into their stride. Grant Campbell fed Richard Macadie up the right flank and Sam Mackay got his head to the crossed ball but couldn't keep his effort down and it went over the top of the Brechin cross-bar.

Joy was soon to follow for the Harmsworth faithful when play again developed down the right flank. This time Stewart Ross slid the ball up the line to Macadie who flicked the ball onto David Allan and he showed his lightning pace by getting onto the end of it and drilled a low left foot shot past keeper Nelson.

1 - 0

Brechin only took six minutes to square the tie. They applied some pressure winning a corner which was cleared by the Academy defence. It was however whipped straight back into the Academy half with the ball being forced out by Grant Campbell for a throw-in.  The throw was sent into the Academy box and Kris Renton rose above the Academy defence to nod the ball down to the feet of Charlie King and he fired home from 15 yards out.

1 - 1

Academy were next to threaten when Stewart Ross broke up a Brechin attack, and sent Sam Mackay on his way up-field. Mackay slid the ball inside to Macadie who fed to Cunningham. He pushed the ball to Craig Shearer and the crowd were on their feet as Shearer's cross-goal attempt shaved the outside of the Brechin post.

In the next Brechin attack the ball was played up-field into the Academy right corner. Rory McAllister chased it down in a foot-race with Andrew MacLeod. MacLeod tried to clear the ball but slipped on the muddy surface and McAllister nicked the ball, chipped it over the heads of the Academy back-line to Kevin Byres and he side-footed into the net.

1 - 2

With 35 minutes played Brechin strung together a good move from Barry Smith and Charlie King breaking into the Academy box before Kevin Byres had a pop at goal but Alan Bokas got behind the ball well as it skidded off the greasy surface.

2 minutes later David Allan again hit the booster button and got in front of his defender but his shot skimmed just wide of the target.

It was end to end stuff and Brechin were next to attack when Renton broke into the box but Stewart Ross got in a great defensive block to turn his shot for a corner.

With three minutes left before half-time and Academy playing some really great football they got their reward when David Allan broke from a challenge from Willie Dyer, slid a through-ball to Sam Mackay who skipped past keeper Nelson and knocked it home.

2 - 2

So half time almost there and time to catch breath and have a cup of tea, not a hope, as David Allan set the crowd alight for the second time in as many minutes. Gary Manson started the move by sending Richard Macadie up the wing and he split the Brechin defence with a piercing pass. David Alan screamed through and broke the off-side trap. He went one-on-on with the keeper and although Neilson blocked Allan's first attempt the young striker kept his cool and fired home at the second time of asking.

3 - 2

Half Time 3 - 2

With 59 minutes gone Brechin manager Jim Duffy knew he had a game on his hands and he made his first change, ex-Cowdenbeath central defender Gary Fusco coming on for Kris Renton.

With an hour gone Academy had Brechin on the back foot again. Richard Macadie chipped the ball into the area for David Allan who chased it down and as Nelson came out to try to clear the ball he caught Allan's legs and referee Brown pointed to the penalty spot. He gave Nelson a yellow card for his efforts and as the Harmsworth crowd held their breath Sam Mackay placed the ball on the spot, took a short run-up and fired the ball home to the right of Nelson to give the Scorries an incredible 2 goal lead. If the Harmsworth Park had a roof it would have been lifted off as the Harmsworth Roar must have been heard all over the town.

4 - 2

Duffy rung the changes in an attempt to get his team back into the game, Neil Janczyk and Kevin Bryers coming off for Mark Cowan and Mark Docherty.

Within seconds the men from Brechin were right back in the game. The goal came from nothing really. Brechin managed to punt it long up the park and it was collected by ex-Caley Thistle and Scotland under 21 international Rory McAllister. He took his time and sent a 20 yard shot towards goal that looked to take a nick off someone in the penalty area and flew past a helpless Bokas.

4 - 3

You could feel the tension in the Harmsworth Park as the home crowd kicked every ball. 15 minutes to hold out and cause a Cup shock, but alas it wasn't to be. With only 5 minutes of the game left Brechin amazingly tied the scores. Mark Cowan set-up Charlie King and he smacked home the leveller to the relief of the Brechin players, supporters, management, and committee.

4 - 4

As the clock ran down referee Brown blew for full-time and the Academy players were cheered off the park for what was a fantastic performance. The under-dogs had given the SFL side a real game and in truth deserved to win as they played the better football.

Full time 4 - 4

So a replay now due for next Saturday at Glebe Park and both sides are still in with a chance of getting into the 4th round but Brechin I'm sure are mighty relieved that they are still in the competition. The draw for that takes place on Monday and Brechin now know that if they want their name in the hat they are going to have to fight for it, as Academy will take real belief from today's performance that they have it in them to go down the road and cause an upset. The whole county are behind you boys, so good luck for next weekend.

Sponsors Man of the match David Allan
Pictured receiving his award from James Innes and son Grant, on behalf of match associate sponsor Achairn Energy Ltd