WAFC 2 - Huntly 0

6th December 2008 - League  Harmsworth Park, Wick
 wick.gifWick Academy FC
 2 (Craig Shearer 43, Gary Weir 60)

 Team:  Don MacMillan, Shaun Sinclair, Gary Manson, Stevie Cunningham(Bryan McKiddie 73), Andrew MacLeod, Craig Shearer, Nigel MacKenzie, Gary Farquhar, Gary Weirycard(David Allan 77), Richard Macadie(Grant MacNab 83), David Cowie.

 Subs: Bryan McKiddie, Grant McNab, David Allan, James More (GK).

 huntlyHuntly FC

 Team: Ross Bremner, Mark Gray, Alan Redford, Neil Reid, Ross Campbell, Stuart Soane, Russell Guild, Michael Ewen, Michele Lombardi, Richard Craig(Kevin Lonie 28).

Subs: Kevin Lonie, Colin Robertson, Jim Cheyne, Craig Dorrat.

 Ronnie Wright
 Bookings:  Gary Weir 70
 Match Sponsor:  First and Last, John O' Groats
 Sponsor man of the match:
 Gary Farquhar
Despite having some key personnel missing for today's game, namely Stewart Ross, Martin Gunn and Alex Lamb, Academy put on an impressive performance to beat Huntly 2-0.

Huntly played in their all blue away kit and started the game playing up the Harmsworth Park slope.

The first attempt on goal came in the 9th minute. Manson battled for the ball in the middle of the park and slid it through for Weir who got a shot on target that keeper Bremner got down well to save on his right hand side.

2 minutes later Manson was again in the thick of the action as he battled for the ball on the left wing before feeding MacKenzie who drove inside to the edge of the box. He let fly with a cross-goal shot that Bremner got finger-tips to turning it round the post for a corner.

A minute later Cowie attacked down the right flank and crossed for Weir in the middle of the box. He headed straight at keeper Bremner who was ideally positioned to make a safe catch.

It took Huntly 20 minutes to mount their first attempt on goal. Richard Craig wriggled inside the Academy box and fed Michele Lombardi who turned on a sixpence and his shot looked bound for the top right hand corner but MacMillan dived over and tipped the ball over for a corner.

A minute later Academy were on the attack again. This time Weir split the Huntly defence for MacKenzie who hammered a first time attempt from 18 yards on target that keeper Bremner again finger-tipped to safety.

Academy at this stage were playing some really great stuff, with a vintage Farquhar in the heart of the midfield stroking about some great passes. This almost produced the first goal as Huntly failed to clear their lines and the ball was picked up by Manson. He pushed the ball to the left for MacKenzie who again got his shot on target but Bremner was there once more to make another good save.

In 24 mins Manson and MacKenzie combined down the left wing. Manson slipped the ball to MacKenzie who hit the by-line and crossed to the middle of the Huntly box where Weir rose unmarked but he headed wide of goal.

Huntly were forced to make a change in the 28 minute with Kevin Lonnie coming on for Richard Craig who looked to have picked up an injury.

Huntly had another chance on the 30 minute mark. Ewen played Guild in to the box but the blond-haired midfielder pulled his shot wide on the left hand post.

A minute later Lombardi won a free kick on the edge of the Academy box after Farquhar had pushed him in the back. Stuart Soane took the free kick and he whipped it in on target but MacMillan managed to get a hand to. it The ball re-bounded back out and hit off Ross Campbell going behind for a goal-kick.

2 minutes before the break Macadie took a corner from the right hand side. Weir got his head to the ball at the back post heading it down for Shearer who took one touch before slamming home into the right hand corner of the net.

1 - 0

Half time 1 - 0

With 6 minutes played in the second half Academy continued to force the play. Farquhar slid the ball forward to Weir who wriggled into the box and got his shot on target that keeper Bremner parried out. The ball went ping-pong off a few players in the box before it was cleared to safety.

In 55 minutes Cunningham was next to try his hand as he fired on target after Weir cut inside the box and laid it off to him, but the Huntly keeper Bremner again got a hand to the ball to force the save.

On the hour Academy doubled their lead. Macadie hustled the Huntly defence into a mistake and won the ball. He threaded it through the back-line for Weir who ran into the box. Bremner came to meet him but Weir managed to get around him and cut the ball back into an empty net for a very well deserved two goal lead.

2 - 0

With 28 minutes of the second half played Academy broke out of defence. Manson passed forward to MacKenzie up the right wing. He drove forward and squared to Macadie, who in turn set-up Weir but Bremner was there again to turn the strikers attempt wide of target.

Huntly did push to try to get back into the game and did have a half-chance before the final whistle when Lonie took a shot on the run at the edge of the box. The ball looked to be goal-bound but Manson got a touch on it and it deflected wide for a corner.

Full time 2 - 0

Sponsor Man of the match Gary Farquhar
Pictured receiving his award from Walter Mowat on behalf of match sponsor First & Last