WAFC 3 - Forres 2

23rd December 2006 - League
 Harmsworth Park Wick
 wick.gifWick Academy   3 (Shane Sutherland 53, Gary Weir 89, Richard Macadie 92)

 Team:  James More, Shaun Sinclair, Neil Traill, David Mowat, Andrew MacLeod, Craig Shearer, Richard Macadieycard.gif, Gary Farquhar(Stewart Ross 68), Shane Sutherland, Gary Manson(Gary Weir 68), David Cowie(Mark Makhouli 79).

 Subs: Stewart Ross, Gary Weir, Stuart Sinclair, Mark Makhouli, Daniel Bell(GK).

 forres_mechanics.gifForres Mechanics

 2 (Ryan Green 34, Charlie Brown 47)

 Team: Robert Taylor, Hamish Munro, Anthony Ross, Naill Calder, Christopher Ross, Gary MacDonald, Neil Whyte, Scott Matheson, Charles Brown, Justin Rogers, Ryan Green.

Subs: Christopher Hardie, Charles Rowley, Gordon Winton.

 Ross Hamill
 Bookings: Richard Macadie 92
 Match Sponsor:
 M M Miller
 Ball Sponsor:
 Arch Henderson Partners
 Sponsors man of the match
 David Mowat

What a Christmas Cracker!!
At the 3rd time of asking Academy finally get a home game that's not had to be postponed, and what a cracker it turned out to be. The biggest crowd of the season saw a fantastic game with Academy scoring twice in the final minutes to take all 3 points.
Academy started the game playing up the Harmsworth slope, and with 5 minutes on the clock David Mowat floated a long ball over the top of the Forres defence which Neil Traill controlled well and ran into the box with ball at feet. He got to the penalty spot and was just going to pull the trigger when defender Hamish Munro got a foot on the ball to deny the shooting opportunity.

4 minutes later and Forres went on the attack, and were very unlucky not to score. A high ball was pumped into the Academy box, and Neil Whyte got his head to it ahead of More but his attempt crashed off the post. The Academy defence scrambled the ball clear, but Ryan Green fired it back on target, and More did well to turn it around the post for a corner-kick. From the resulting corner Whyte again got a shot on goal that once more hit the post.

In the 12th minute Neil Traill had a good run up the wing and picked out Richard Macadie with his cross. Richard controlled the ball well on his chest, but rifled his attempted volley over the top of the Forres cross-bar.

Veteran Charlie Brown was looking sharp up-front for Forres, and in the 22nd minute Naill Calder slotted him through the middle of the Academy defence. He ran in on goal and Andrew Macleod did good work in putting just enough pressure on him to make him scuff his shot.

2 minutes later and Academy had their best chance of the half. Shane Sutherland threaded a pass though the middle of the Forres defence to Richard Macadie. Richard took the ball around keeper Taylor and fired into an empty net, only to find defender Justin Rogers scramble back to make an off-the line clearance.

Just before the half-hour Macadie had another sniff at goal. Shane Sutherland held the ball up well before squaring to Richard. With keeper Taylor just off his line Richard attempted a curling shot into the top right hand corner, but his attempt was just too high.

Forres took the lead in the 34th minute. Chris Ross played Ryan Green into the Academy box, and ignoring shouts of off-side from the Academy supporters, Green coolly slotted home under the body of More.

0 – 1

A minute later and Forres again hit the wood-work. Whyte hit a thunder-shot from 30 yards out and it crashed off the cross-bar for yet another lucky escape for Academy.

Academy stormed back up-field, and Macadie floated a perfect ball over the top of the Forres defence, which Davie Cowie collected from over his shoulder. Davie took the opportunity to shoot early, but his shot was too high.

Half Time 0 – 1

2 minutes into the second half and Forres doubled their lead. Justin Rogers made good ground up the right wing, and crossed for Charlie Brown, who was unmarked in the box, to bundle over the line from 3 yards out.

0 - 2

This looked as if it would have sealed the game, but Academy stormed right back into it when in 52 minutes the ball went ping-pong between players in the Forres box, before Shane Sutherland got a toe to it, and it found the corner of the net past the out-stretched hand of keeper Taylor.

1 - 2

5 minutes later and David Mowat showed silky skills driving at the Forres defence, before chipping the ball over their back-line, and running in on goal. It took a great saving tackle from Christopher Ross to deny Mowat a shot on goal.

Peter made a double change, going 4-3-3, in the 68th minute, with Gary Weir and Stewart Ross coming on for Gary Manson and Gary Farquhar.

With the Harmsworth crowd really spurring the boys on Academy almost pulled the game level in the 73rd minute. Good wing play by Neil Traill saw him hit the bye-line, and he sent in a deep cross to the Forres back post. David Cowie was at hand and met the ball with a powerful header, but it went agonisingly wide of the target.

Academy kept pushing, and with 11 minutes left Macadie had another crack at goal, after being played in by Gary Weir, again though he fired his shot high of the target.

Peter made his last change sending on Mark Makhouli for David Cowie.

With 5 minutes left it looked as if Academy were going to pull the game level. A high ball into the Forres box fell for Gary Weir but he screwed his shot wide, when he really should have hit the target.

Academy pushed again and forced a corner-kick. With time running out it looked as if this would be their last chance. Mark Makhouli took it, but failed to clear the first Forres defender, and Forres broke up-field. Matheson played the cross for Charlie Brown who hit a crisp right foot shot that looked goal-bound, but James got finger-tips to the ball and turned it over the cross-bar.

With a minute left Forres committed football suicide when a mix-up occurred with keeper Taylor, and his defenders, and Richard Macadie nicked the ball, squared to Gary Weir, and he fired home into an empty net.

2 - 2

Game over, no way!! 2 minutes into injury time and Stewart Ross slipped a pass into the feet of Richard Macadie, and he steered the ball into the net with a left foot shot from 16 yards out. They must have heard the ‘Harmsworth Roar’ for miles around, as the crowd went wild!

Macadies shirt came off as he celebrated with the Academy supporters behind the net, for which referee Hamill produced a yellow card, but in the great scheme of things it didn’t seem to matter as it had won the game.

3 – 2

This left just enough time to re-start, after which Hamill blew for full-time, for one of the best come-backs that the Harmsworth Park has seen for many’s a year. To be fair Forres were probably the better side today, and I think they will be feeling bitterly disapointed that Wick nicked this from them.

Full Time 3 - 2

This leaves Academy only 2 points behind Forres, with the re-match being played at Mosset Park on the 6th of January, so this is now set-up to be another thriller.

Sponsors Man of the match David Mowat
Seen here receiving his award from Match Sponsor M M Miller
Match Mascot was Erin MacDonald
 Erin won the Academy 'design a Christmas Card' competition, and is pictured below with her family