WAFC 0 - Buckie 3

4th November 2006 - League
 Harmsworth Park Wick
 wick.gifWick Academy   0

 Team:  Daniel Bell, Shaun Sinclairycard.gif, Neil Traill, David Mowat, Andrew MacLeod, Craig Shearer, Martin Gunn(Gary Weir 81), Gary Farquhar, Richard Macadie(Mark Makhouli 62), Gary Manson, David Cowie.

 Subs: Mark Makhouli, Gary Weir, Stuart Sinclair, Bryan McKiddie, James Morel(GK).

 buckie_thistle.gifBuckie Thistle

 3 (Stephen Bruce 30, Jamie Shewan 35, Donnie Munro 75)

 Team: Kevin Main, Jamie Shewan, Paul Lamberton, Kevin Small(David Angus 80), Ritchie Davidson(James Lawrie 82), Michael Grant, Andy Matheson, Donnie Munro, Stephen Bruce(Mark Wood 40), Lewis MacKinnon, Mark Hamilton.

Subs: David Angus, Neil Murray, James Lawrie. Mark Wood, Darren Strong (GK).

 Graham Fraser
 ycard.gifShaun Sinclair 77
 Match Sponsor:
 Corrie Electrical Services
 Ball Sponsor:
 K.B & Co
 Sponsors man of the match
 Donnie Munro

Conditions weren’t ideal for football today, with a heavy pitch and a strong blustery wind, but Buckie coped better and took their chances to win by 3 goals to 0.

Wick had a good start when within the first 5 minutes they had two sniffs at goal. The first came with Gary Farquhar playing a great chip over the top of the Buckie defence. Martin Gunn beat the off-side trap and ran onto the ball with just the keeper to beat, but the ball skidded off the greasy surface and just ran out of his reach.

A minute later David Cowie had a surging run up the right and delivered a perfect cross for Richard Macadie, but Richard screwed his shot wide to the right of Kevin Mains right hand post.

It was 10 minutes into the game before Buckie had their first attempt on goal. Donnie Munro picked the ball up after a long punt up-field, and got into a good shooting position, but his right foot shot whistled past Bells right hand post.

A few minutes later and Buckie were on the attack again, this time Andy Matheson got a shot on target, but Bell got finger-tips to it and turned it for a corner kick.

From the corner Buckie should have taken the lead. The ball fell to Andy Matheson but his shot was parried out by Bell. The ball fell to Matheson again and with his back to goal he tried a clever back-heel into the net, but Bell reacted well to make a make a second save.

Bell kicked the ball straight down-field, and David Cowie picked it up and whipped a good cross into the Buckie box. Gary Farquhar met the ball for a free header, but put it over the top of the cross-bar.

Buckie were starting to shade the game by this stage, and had another good goal-scoring attempt in the 22nd minute. The ball was played out of mid-field by Michael Grant and Stephen Bruce, who looked off-side, took the ball wide and fired in a strong shot on goal. Daniel did well to get a hand to it and make a save, but he could only parry the ball back up into the air. Donnie Munro was first to the ball but his reaction header went high over the top.

Buckie then took the lead on the half-hour mark. A high curling ball was whipped into the Academy back-post by Ritchie Davidson, and with the wind moving it around Daniel could only get a hand to it, and it dropped to the  Buckie No 9 Stephen Bruce who fired the ball home from closs-range.





0 -1

This seemed to shake the Academy players, and 5 minutes after their 1st goal Buckie doubled their lead. Jamie Shewan took a run up-field from his usual defensive duties and got onto the end of the ball about 35 yards from goal. With the strong wind assisting he hit a rocket of a shot through the Academy defence and it sneaked inside Bells left hand post.

0 – 2

Wick almost had an immediate response, when from the re-start Craig Shearer played Martin Gunn though the middle of the Buckie defence. Martin fired the trigger just inside the Buckie box and his shot beat keeper Main, but went agonisingly past his right hand post.


Buckie were making the most of the strong back-wind, and in the 38th minute Lewis Mackinnon managed to get another glancing header in on goal, but it just flashed past Bells right hand post.

Steven Bruce picked up an injury after a bit of a tangle with Craig Shearer, and was substituted in the 40th minute for Mark Wood.

A minute before half-time Academy had a good chance to get themselves back into the game. David Cowie pushed forward down the right wing and delivered a cross for Richard Macadie. Richard got free of his marker in the box but pulled his shot wide of Mains left post.


Half Time 0 – 2

Buckie started the second half in attacking mood, and after just a minute it took a great tackle in the box from Neil Traill to stop substitute Mark Wood getting in on goal. The ball was kicked out by Daniel and Craig Shearer showed some fantastic skills dancing past 3 Buckie mid-fielders to deliver a cross-ball for Gary Farquhar but his shot was turned for a corner-kick.

Academy to their credit kept plugging away, and won a corner in the 56th minute. The corner kick from Gary Manson was floated into the Buckie box and Martin Gunn got a good header on the ball but it went straight into Mains hands.

4 minutes later and Shewan again found himself up-field on a run. This time he shot from wide, but Bell got down well to his near-post to make a good save.

With just over an hour gone Peter made his first change, with striker Mark Makhouli coming on for Richard Macadie.

Makhouli was only on the pitch for 5 minutes when he had a fantastic chance to get Wick a life-line. He was played over the top of the Buckie defence beating the off-side trap, and ran in on goal. With only keeper Main to beat he disappointingly fired his attempt wide, when he really at the very least should have worked the keeper.

Buckie sealed the game with 75 minutes on the clock. Shewan went on another run up-field running deep into the Academy half with the Academy players standing off him, he squared a good ball to Woods, who chipped over the top of the Academy defence, for Donnie Munro to slot home past Bell from only 10 yards out..

0 – 3

Some frustration was started to show on some of the Academy players, and after referee Fraser gave a very soft foul for Buckie, Shaun Sinclair was booked for kicking the ball away.

Academy’s only other attempt on goal was in the 79th minute when Gary Farquhar picked the ball up on the edge of the Buckie penalty area, and with time to spare to pick his spot he fired over the top.

Gary Weir came on for Martin Gunn with 10 minutes left, but Buckie controlled the game to the final whistle and in the end ran-out comfortable winners.

Final Score 0 – 3

So Buckie making the most of the conditions, and they finished their chances to take all 3 points. Even with the strong back-wind in the second half Academy just didn’t seem to be able to make a mark on the game. They also failed to convert a couple of fairly good chances, and so it’s Buckie who continue up the league, this being their 8th league game and they are yet to loose.

Sponsors Man of the match Buckie No 8 Donnie Munro
Seen here receiving his award from Alistair Gunn on behalf of match sponsor Corrie Electrical Services