BP Cup U19's win

Wick Academy under 19's travelled to Deveronvale today for a second round BP Cup game and won 3 - 2. A Shane Sutherland double, and a penalty from Bryan McKiddie was enough to secure the win.

Daniel Bell, pictured below, had an immense game which included a penalty save.


2nd Round SFA BP Youth Cup
Deveronvale U19s  vs   Wick Academy U19s

The day started badly for Wick when their squad was reduced by the late call off of two players due to illness prior to the bus leaving the Harmsworth Park for the long trek to play their East of Scotland Youth League opponents at Deveronvale's Princess Royal Park.
This left Wick with only two subs to choose from, with one being their reserve goalie Graeme Williamson.
Once there Wick found Banff bathed in Sunshine with little or no wind to spoil their first venture into the BP Youth Cup for several years.
Vale were first to settle when Vale's no 10 brought out a brillant save from 1st Team Squad Goalkeeper Daniel Bell, who threw himself across his goal to touch the ball around his left-hand post for a corner in the 12th min.
Again Vale were on the attack when Vale's No.8 worked space for himself 18yds out before rifling a thunderous shot straight at Bell in the Wick goal.
Slowly Wick started to come more into the game, Martin Sutherland picked the ball up inside his own half and drove forward unchallenged deep inside the vale half before being upended 18yds from goal with 17mins played.
Bryan McKiddie (Ross County bound) stepped forward to curl a tremendous left-foot free kick over the Vale wall only to see the ball come crashing back off the underside of the bar and just as Shane Sutherland was ready to pounce on the loose ball, the referee blew for off-side against Davie Green who strolled into an off-side position.
35mins played, Wick were playing good football spraying the ball about confidently, B.McKiddie and Shane Sutherland's good interlink play earnt their side a corner. From B.McKiddie's corner Davie Green sent a header flashing past the Vale keeper's left-hand post.
Wick were well ontop by now, 41 mins into the game, Bryan McKiddie who was instruemental in everything that was good about Wick's play collected the ball midway inside the vale half, driving forward before playing a brillant thro ball to the edge of the Vale 18yd box to Ewan Scott, the hard working Thurso youngster controlled the ball before cutting onto his right foot before firing a a tremendous shot goalwards which the Vale keeper did well to hold down to his right.
42mins played, and again Wick were on the attack, when Bryan McKiddie played a neat one-two with Shane Sutherland which ended with McKiddie's 20yd right foot shot being charged away for a corner.
B.McKiddie curled the ball into the box which put the Vale defence under pressure when Stuart Sinclair's header at the back post was cleared for another corner.
From the resultant corner Wick's pressure finally paid off in 43mins when Wick went ahead, again B.McKiddie took the corner this time flighting it to the near post which Martin Sinclair managed to flick on for his brother Stuart at the back post, his header from 10yds was charged down, however the ball broke to Shane Sutherland who fired home from 6yds much to the delight of his team mates.
The goal was fully deserved after Wick's youngster's good spell of pressure leading upto the goal.

Half-Time Deveronvale 0 v 1 Wick

Vale went immediately into attack at the start of the second half, when Vale's impressive No10 unleashed a thunderous right foot drive which Wick's impressive Bell brillantly turned around his right-hand post for a corner.
The resultant corner caused panic in the Wick defence before being booted clear by Wick's influential skipper Stuart Sinclair who along with his brother Martin showed true commitment on the day when only 12hrs earlier they had flown into Glasgow from their holidays.
Back came Vale again and this time their pressure paid off in 50mins when Vale's pacy right winger drove to the bye-line and before Ewan Scott could get a tackle the winger curled a tremendous right foot cross into the box which was met on the run by Vale's No. 11 who bulleted a header in off the junction of Bell's right-hand Post/Bar from 12yds.

Vale 1 v 1 Wick

Wick didn't wait around to feel sorry for themselves and immediately regained the lead in 53mins when a long thro ball from Bryan McKiddie was chased down by Shane Sutherland, the Vale keeper raced off his and got involved in a mix up with his Central Defender (No.5) on the dge of the 18yd box, the hesitation allowed Shane Sutherland get between both players to get a touch on the ball, as Sutherland looked to fire the ball into the goal from 16yds, however Vale's Central Defender in a last ditched attempt to prevent Wick's young 1st team squad player from scoring brought Sutherland down resulting in the referee immediately pointing to the spot.
As the last defender the referee had no option but to send off the Central Defender reducing Vale to 10 men.
Once the dust had settled, up stepped Bryan McKiddie to fire the spot kick low inside the Vale kepper's right-hand post to the delight of the half dozen Wick Supporters, players and Management Team.

Deveronvale 1 v 2  Wick.

Wick got a lift from going in front and in 57mins they nearly added to their tally, when Colin McKiddie played in his brother Bryan who drove forward to play in Martin Sutherland on the edge of Vale's 18yd box out on the right, Martin controlled the ball before firing a fierce shot goalwards which the Vale keeper brillantly turned around his left-hand post for a corner which the Vale defence cleared.
From the resultant clearance in 58mins Vale were given an opportunity to level from the penalty spot when Vale's No. 7 flighted a hopeful ball into the box which was easily dealt with by Bell in the Wick goal who jumped above a Vale forward, however to everyone's astonishment the referee awarded Vale a very soft penalty for what he called a push on a Vale forward by Wick's keeper Bell.
Vale's No.9 stepped up to fire the spot kick high to Bell's left-hand side, Bell threw himself to his left to brilliantly palm the ball onto the underside of the bar, and before the Vale players could react Bell smothered the rebound!
A truely magnificent save from the young Inverness based Goal-keeper.
Both sides were serving up a cracker of a match for the fans in the Princess Royal stand with play flowing from end to end.
Wick were next to threaten when Martin Sinclair's long ball deep inside the Vale half found Shane Sutherland who directed his header out to the left to Ewan Scott who got to the bye-line to cut the ball back across the goal, before the Vale defence Sutherland reacted quickest to take the ball around the Vale keeper  8yds out however having been forced wide of the goal could only watch as his left foot shot hit the side netting.
Wick were looking the stronger side at this point and looked the side most likely to score.
However Vale had other ideas and started to dominate proceeding's midway thro the half and Bell had to look lively to save low down to his left when Vale's No.10 fired in a thunderous 20yd shot.
By now the pressure was intense from Vale and they looked the side with eleven players on the park.
Vale were finally rewarded for their pressure in 71mins via a Wick player.
Vale were awarded a corner when Sean Stewart cleared his lines under pressure from Vale's forwards, Vale's No. 11 flighted the ball into the box, several players went up for the ball and the next the ball appeared to glance of a Wick player and fly past a helpless Bell from 10yds much to the delight of the players and coaches of Vale.

Vale 2 v 2 Wick 

Wick's Martin Sutherland went down clutching his hamstring in 75mins as Vale threatened to over run the Wick players and was replaced by 14 yr old Grant McNab.
In 78mins Wick had the magnificent Bell to thank for keeping them in the game.
Vale's No.7 drove down the right before firing the ball into the box, Stuart Sinclair's headed clearance landed at Vale's No.10's feet 20 yds out and his first time volley was bulleted goalwards which Bell at full length brilliantly pushed out, however the ball fell kindly to the same player before the Wick defence could react the Vale player looked sure to score however Bell was having none off it, and as the Vale player pulled the trigger Bell got back to his feet to charge down the Vale striker's second attempt from 12ydsl
From the resultant corner Wick hit Vale on the counter attack to go back in front in 80mins, as the Ball came into the box it was headed powerfully clear by Stuart Sinclair to Grant McNab, who  quickly moved the ball forward to Michael Petrie. Petrie drove forward to the half way line before releasing Martin Sinclair just inside the Vale half, Sinclair looked up to pick out Shane Sutherland's forward run beyond a static Vale defence with a tremendous thro ball, Sutherland ran thro on goal, as the Vale keeper raced from his line Sutherland cooly slotted the ball under the keeper from 16yds to set off scenes off mass celebrations amongst his team mates and coaching staff!

Vale 2 v 3 Wick

This was to bring a final 10mins on slaught from the Vale youngsters and only brave defending and brilliant goal-keeping from Daniel Bell saw Wick through to the 3rd Round of the SFA BP Youth Cup where they have a chance of meeting the big boys from the SPL or SFL.
Although a daunting task, its one the Wick youngsters fully deserve and one they can look forward to after a tremendous team effort and one where they will gain tremendous experience no matter who they get!
The players showed great character to keep coming back at a very good Deveronvale side who were let down by some poor defending.
Each player on the day played their part and deserve all the credit for their performance, they can be proud of what they achieved on the day!
They did WAFC, their Coaching staff and Wick Academy Supporters proud!
Well done lads!

Full Time: Deveronvale 2 v 3 Wick

Team: Bell, Stewart, C.McKiddie, S.Sinclair, D.Green, M.Sinclair, M.Sutherland (McNab 75), Petrie, S.Sutherland, B.McKiddie, E.Scott.

Sub not used: Williamson.