Turriff United 2 - Wick Academy 3

 11th January 2020 - Breedon Highland Football league
  Turriff United FC  2 (Cameron Bowden 90, Murray Esson 91)

fortwilliam nikeTeam: Fraser Hobday, Owen Kinsella, Christopher Fairley, James Chalmers, Cameron Bowden, Keir Smith, Liam Norris (Murray Esson 68), Adam Cross, Matthew McDonald, Gavin Elphinstoneycard, Luke Kinsella.

Subs:  Rory Brown, Murray Esson, Lee McAllister, James Robson, Roy McBain, Lewis Buxton, Jacob Otto.

  Wick Academy FC
 (Jack Halliday 6, Jack Henry 64, Grant Aitkenhead 84)

WAFC Home Shirt 18 19Team: Gordon Clark, Colin Macrae, Sam Mackay, Danny Mackay, Gary Manson, Ryan Campbell, Jack Henry, Jack Halliday (Grant Aitkenhead 80), Alan Hughes (Gordon MacNab 68), Richard Macadie (Mark Macadie 75), David Allan.

Subs: Craig Gunn, Gordon MacNab, Grant Aitkenhead, Mark Macadie, James More.

 Referee:   Filippo Mazzoni
 Bookings:   Gavin Elpinstone (43)
 Match Photos - Mel & Bob Roger   Match Photos - To Follow
 Match Highlights   Match highlights

For the second year in a row Wick Academy have done the double over Turriff United. The last time Turriff managed to beat the Scorries was in April 2017. Danny Mackay made his 150th competitive appearance for the club today. Craig Gunn has missed the last four games through injury, but he was back on the bench. Grant Aitkenhead came on with 10 minutes of the second half to play and he scored his first goal for the club.

The two Jack’s, Halliday with a goal after only 6 minutes, and Henry on 64 minutes, had Academy two up.

Halliday’s opening goal capped off a great passing move with him and Jack Henry combining well with a neat one-two allowing Halliday on in goal and he finished off in style firing across the keeper into the corner of the net.

Half Time – Turriff United 0 – Wick Academy 1

Academy started to control the game and their second goal came on 64 minutes. Another good move saw the ball played in from the left to the feet of Jack Henry and he fired in a low drive from the edge of the penalty area past the helpless Fraser Hobday.

Grant Aitkenhead came on as a sub in the 80th minute and he scored his first goal for the club four minutes later to put head-room between the sides. The goal came from a chip from Gordon Macnab over the advancing Hobday. It bounced off the far post and Aitkenhead bundled it home from close range.

So game over, not a chance, the last three minutes were pretty intense! Gavin Elphinston had a header come off the bar and Cameron Bowden then pulled a goal back on 90 minutes. A high cross from the left was played back across goal by Matthew Mcdonald to the feet of Bowden who took a touch to control it and then smashed home high into the net from 6 yards out.

A minute later It was 2-3 with substitute Murray Esson getting on the score-sheet. Keeper Hobday lumped a high ball up-field that bounced about in the Academy box, Academy shouted for a push but play continued before the ball fell perfectly for Esson and he whipped a dipping shot high into the net and Academy’s three goal lead had almost evaporated.

Despite the late response from the home side, Academy held on to win the game. The result has lifted Academy up two places in the league to 9th.

Full Time – Turriff United 2 – Wick Academy 3