Huntly 3 - Wick 2

 21st October 2017 - Scottish Highland Football League  Christie Park, Huntly
 Huntly FC

  3 (Dennis Wyness 2,79  Ryan Stewart 78)

huntly_zeusTeam:  Craig Reid, David Donald, Blair Johnston (Cory Ritchie 72), Tom Andrews (Kieran Adams 61), Glenn Murisonycard, Michael Clark(c), Paul Napierycard, Ross Stillycard, Dennis Wyness, Michael Ewenycard, Ryan Stewart

Subs: Kieran Adams, Calvin Roddie, Cory Ritchie, Reece McKeown, Clark Robertson, Keith Robertshaw (T)

  Wick Academy FC   2 (Marc Macgregor 52 , Richard Macadie 71)

WAFC_New_Front_wTeam: Sean McCarthy, Gary Manson, Danny Mackay, Steven Anderson, Jack Halliday (Gordon C McNab 87), Richard Macadie(c), Marc Macgregor (Gordon McNab 85), Alan Hughes, Ross Allan, Sam Mackay, Aidan Reid

Subs: Gordon C McNab, Gordon McNab (T), Danny McCarthy  

 Referee:   Ben Dempster

  Glen Murison 65
  Paul Napier 71
  Michael Ewan 74
  Ross Still 91

 Sponsors Man of the Match:   Craig Reid
 Match Photos - Mel & Bob Roger:   Match photos to follow

There are some games of football where you play badly and deserve to get beaten, some where you play badly and win, some where you play well and come away with the win and then there was Saturday's match - Huntly did not play badly by any stretch of the imagination but how Wick didn't win this match will, for those who were there, forever remain one of football's little mysteries.

From the kick off Wick were on the attack with Alan Hughes down the right wing, his pass finding Richard Macadie, who took the ball into the 18 yard box and unleashed a shot that produced the first of what seemed like a dozen saves by Huntly keeper Craig Reid.  Reid's right hand save low to his right pushed the ball out into the path of the oncoming Marc Macgregor but the Huntly keeper was up on his feet and had had thrown himself on the ball before the Wick forward could pull the trigger.

The next minute saw a break down the right for Huntly, Dennis Wyness made space just outside the corner of the 6 yard box and before anyone could draw breath his right foot shot flew past Wick keeper Sean McCarthy into the top of the net.

Wick were once again on the attack from the re-start with Steven Anderson driving into the 18 yard box from the left - his low shot from inside the 6 yard box turned away for a corner by Huntly keeper Reid.

Next to try his luck was Marc Macgregor in the 7th minute, when after a through ball from Gary Manson, he wrong footed Huntly's Tom Andrews to create space for a swerving shot that ended up inches over the bar.

Huntly's turn to attack again next with Ryan Stewart allowed to reach the by-line and pull the ball back to Michael Ewan but Wick's Danny Mackay was on hand to put the Huntly man off his shot and the ball rolled harmlessly through the Sean McCarthy.

11 minutes in and Wick were on the attack again - a surging run through the middle by Sam Mackay who then slipped the ball to Richard Macadie on the left - Macadie's cross into the centre of the penalty box found Marc Macgregor but his looping header was safely collected by the Huntly keeper.

Wick were well in the ascendency by the half hour but Huntly keeper Craig Reid was keeping the Wick forwards at bay - and what Reid didn't save, his defence blocked.  In the space of three minutes Steven Anderson was denied 4 times by a combination of keeper and defence -  a cross in from Alan Hughes meant for Anderson was plucked from the air by Reid just in front of the Wick attacker - a shot from the left edge of the 6 yard box was blocked by David Donald - a cross in from the right by Alan Hughes punched clear by Craig Reid just as Anderson was about to make contact and a shot from the edge of the 18 yard box cannoned off Ross Still for a corner.


In the 35th minute there was an opportunity for Sam Mackay from a free kick after Ross Allan was brought down on the left corner of the 18 yard box.  Reid though, had other ideas and Mackay's fizzing shot was turned over the bar by the fingertips of the Huntly keeper.  A minute later Reid was called into action again this time when Danny Mackay's shot from inside the penalty area was blocked on the line by the keeper's left foot.

There was more goal mouth action in the 37th minute when a cross in by Marc Macgregor was punched away by keeper Reid to the feet of Richard Macadie, the shot from Macadie blocked by Huntly's Glenn Murison.

Having soaked up the Wick pressure Huntly had their own spell of pressure just before half time and could have extended their lead as Michael Ewan looked to have made space at edge of the 6 yard box.   Aidan Reid made up the ground, smothered the Huntly man's shot and scrambled the ball away for a corner.

Half time: Huntly 1 Wick 0.

Huntly started off the second half where they had left the first and Ross Allan was immediately called into action to knock the ball away at the near post for a Huntly corner.

Wick's equaliser came in the 52nd minute and it was a stunning goal from Marc Macgregor.  The Wick forward received the ball on the left corner of the 6 yard box with his back to the goal, flicked the ball into the air and hooked the ball over his head and into the top right hand corner of the Huntly net.  Absolutely nothing the outstanding Craig Reid could do to keep this one out.

5 minutes later Marc Macgregor had the beating of the keeper a second time but his 15 yard shot crashed off the crossbar and behind for a goal kick.

The 61st minute saw the save of the match - a free kick in from the left  by Ross Allan was headed down to by Aidan Reid to Steven Anderson on the 6 yard line - his right foot drive looked net bound until it was blocked on the line by the outstretched leg of the diving Craig Reid - the ball then bounced up, crashed against the underside of the crossbar and flew out to be headed to safety by a Huntly defender. 

Wick took the lead in the 70th minute with a hotly disputed penalty - Referee Ben Dempster pointed to the spot after Steven Anderson had been blocked in the area by Ryan Stewart.  Richard Macadie dispatched the spot kick into the bottom corner of the net for his 7th goal of the season.

Into the 75th minute and, after a drive down the right, Steven Anderson cut into the 18 yard box and was allowed to get to 4 yards out before firing the ball towards goal - Reid could only parry this time and the ball came back to Anderson on the corner of the 6 yard box - The Academy man returned the ball back towards goal with a powerful header only to see Reid at full stretch turn the ball around the post for a corner.

And then the sucker punch or,  punches......78th minute -  A ball in from the Huntly right found Ryan Stewart on the far post and Sean McCarthy could do nothing to stop Stewart's shot back across goal finding the back of the net.   Within a minute Huntly had capitalised on the loss of concentration from the visitors and veteran Dennis Wyness found space in the box on the Huntly left and fired what was to be the winner past Wick keeper Sean McCarthy.

 Wick still had a chance of coming away with a point when, in the 87th minute, Sam Mackay got the ball to Alan Hughes, Hughes beat the Huntly sub Kieran Adams to take the ball into the penalty area 2 yards from the byline and unleashed a right foot shot that looked destined for the top corner of the net.  Last word to Craig Reid who, at full stretch, fingertipped the ball over the bar.