WAFC 3 - Keith 1

 12th November 2016 - Scottish Highland Football League  Harmsworth Park, Wick
 Wick Academy F.C.

  3 (Sam Mackay 19 Pen, 49, 62)

WAFC_New_Front_wTeam: Sean McCarthy, Danny Mackay, Alan Farquhar, Andrew Hardwick(Andrew Mackay 89), Michael Steven, James Pickles, Gary Manson, Sam Mackay(Marc MacGregor 81), Davie Allan, Steven Anderson, Gary Weir(Richard Macadie 73).

Subs: Richard Macadie, James McLean, Andrew Mackay, Michael Petrie, Marc MacGregor, Danny McCarthy.

  Keith F.C.   1 (Luke Barbour 38)

keith_pendle_awayTeam: Daniel Bell, Stewart Hutcheon, Fraser Hall, Adam Clark, Bruce Milne, Bruce Raffell, Craig Cormack(Craig MacAskill 81), Donald Fraser(Michael Ewen 73), Luke Barbour, Kris Duncan, James Brownie(Andrew Smith 71). 

Subs: Michael Ralton, Ryan Spink, Gary McNamee, Craig MacAskill, Michael Ewen, Courtney Cooper, Andrew Smith.

 Referee:   Douglas Ross
 Bookings:   None
 Sponsors Man of the Match:   Sam Mackay
 Match Photos - Mel & Bob Roger:   Link to match photos

A second hat-trick on the bounce from Sam Mackay saw off visitors Keith today with a 3-1 win. Sean McCarthy made a welcome return for Academy between the sticks, his first start appearance since the 24th September. The win lifts Academy above Fraserburgh into 5th spot in the table.

Academy had the better of the opening exchanges and took the lead on 19 minutes. Davie Allan was chopped down in the box and Sam Mackay converted the spot kick.

Keith then came into the game and had the better of the reminder of the half. Good pressure saw Luke Barbour tap in at the back post to square the scores after McCarthy had made an initial good save.

Academy had the better of the second half though and further goals from Sam Mackay, a shot from outside the box and a direct free-kick, secured the three points.

Academy started on the attack and on 19 minutes Davie Allan showed his blistering pace storming into the Keith box. Fraser Hall tried to stick with him but ended up taking him to the ground with a tackle from behind and referee Douglas Ross had no hesitation in pointing to the penalty spot. Sam Mackay converted sending keeper Daniel Bell the wrong way.

1 - 0

6 minutes later Academy had a great chance to double their advantage. Davie Allan left four defenders in his wake as he tore up the right wing. He delivered a perfect cross for James Pickles but he fired his shot over the bar.

On 38 minutes the visitors levelled the scores after a period of sustained pressure on the Academy goal. Donald Fraser got a powerful shot on target that Sean McCarthy could only parry back out onto the path of Keith's top goal scorer Luke Barbour and he tucked home from 6 yards out.

1 - 1

Half Time - Wick Academy 1 - Keith 1

3 minutes after the restart Keith's Kris Duncan found a yard of space and he came within a whisker of sending the visitors into the lead, but his shot flashed just wide of McCarthy's right hand post.

A minute later it was Academy that took the lead. Good play from the Scorries saw Gary Weir set up Sam Mackay and he had a pop from 20 yards. Daniel Bell dived to his right and looked to have it covered but the ball struck off his hand and over onto the net.

2 - 1

Academy started to control possession of the ball and just after the hour Sam Mackay struck home his hat-trick. Davie Allan had another surging run at the Keith defence and he was brought down just outside the box. Mackay fired a low free-kick around the wall leaving Bell unsighted and it flew into the bottom left-hand corner.

3 - 1

Mackay had a great opportunity to grab another. He beat the Keith off-side trap latching onto a long ball and went one-on-on with Bell, but the Keith stopper came out to meet him and made a good block.

Academy comfortably saw the remainder of the game out to notch up their 9th consecutive league win against Keith.

Full Time - Wick Academy 3 - Keith 1