WAFC 4 - Whitehill Welfare 1

 22nd October 2016 - William Hill Scottish Cup - Round 2  Harmsworth Park, Wick
 Wick Academy F.C.

  4 (James Pickles 53, Sam Mackay 55 Pen, 65 Pen, Richard Macadie 84)

WAFC_New_Front_wTeam: Michael MacCallum, Michael Steven, Alan Farquhar, Grant Steven (Andrew Hardwick 36), Danny Mackay, Gary Manson, James Pickles, Sam Mackay(Richard Macadie 83), Steven Anderson, Davie Allan, Gary Weir(Marc MacGregor 82).

Subs: Richard Macadie, Marc MacGregor, Andrew Mackay, James McLean, Andrew Hardwick, Danny McCarthy.   

  Whitehill Welfare F.C.   1 (Scott McCulloch 18)

Whitehill WelfareTeam: Bryan Youngycard, John Hall(John Kerr 72), Dale O'Hararcard, John Williamsrcard, Connor McGregorycard, Steven Manson(Charlie Denton 61), Kevin Keane, Scott McCulloch, Michael Osbournycard, Harvey Swann, Scott Gormley(Andrew Martin 58rcard). 

Subs: Andrew Martin, Charlie Denton, John Kerr, Steven Hislop, John Gilbertson.

 Referee:   Stephen Brown
 Bookings:   Connor McGregor 24
  John Williams 36, 73 - Red 
  Michael Osborne 47
  Bryan Young 64
  Dale O'Hara 79 - Red
  Andrew Martin 80 - Red
 Sponsors Man of the Match:   Michael Steven
 YouTube Coverage:
  Click here for coverage of the game
 Match Photos - Mel & Bob Roger:   Link to match photos

A fantastic second half performance from Academy saw them come from a goal behind against visitors Whitehill Welfare, running out 4-1 winners, to book their place in the 3rd round of the William Hill Scottish Cup. The draw takes place on Tuesday at 6pm.

The visitors took the lead after 18 minutes through Scott McCulloch. A screamer from James Pickles 8 minutes after the re-start took the scores level before two penalties from Sam Mackay within the space of 10 minutes turned the game. Richard Macadie came on as a sub on 83 minutes and scored with a cracking strike with his first kick of the ball. Macadie could have grabbed a brace but had a penalty saved by keeper Bryan Young.

Indiscipline from Whitehill saw them finish the game with only eight men and three further bookings.

Academy started playing up the Harmsworth slope and set-out at a good tempo. Within 7 minutes they created the first chance of the game when Steven Anderson flashed a drive just passed keeper Bryan Young's right hand post.

A minute later James Pickles had the ball in the net for the Scorries but it didn't stand, ruled off-side.

Whitehill broke from an Academy free-kick on the edge of their own box. Scott Gormley set the attack off with Connor McGregor teeing up Scott McCulloch and from fully 30 yards out his right foot shot cracked off the face of Michael MacCallum's right hand post before running across the goal-line and out for a goal-kick.

In the next attach Whitehill opened the scoring. Kevin Keane dinked a ball through to the powerful McCulloch who held off Grant Steven and ran in on goal. MaCallum came to narrow the angle and he managed to get a foot on McCulloch's low shot but it wasn't enough to stop the ball trundling over the line just inside his right hand post.

0 - 1

Davie Allan burst through the Whitehill defence but could only shoot straight to keeper Young and minutes later Young was again on-hand this time making a great save from James Pickles. Pickles had been played into the heart of the box by Sam Mackay and he must have thought he'd scored, but Young did fantastically well from close range to get a right foot out to block Pickles attempt.

Welfare could only half clear a corner that fell to Gary Manson just outside the box. He fired in a shot that John Williams blocked with his elbow and he was booked for his efforts. Sam Mackay curled the free-kick over the wall and Young dived to his right to make another good stop pushing the ball wide of target.

Academy were forced to make a change with Grant Steven coming off injured and he was replaced by Andrew Hardwick.

Half Time - Wick Academy 0 - Whitehill welfare 1

8 minutes after the re-start Academy squared the tie. Sam Mackay jinked inside his marker and slid the ball to the feet of James Pickles. From 30 yards out he took one touch to control the ball and then rifled in a low drive passed the outstretched Young and into the net just inside his left hand post.

1 - 1

2 minutes later referee Stephen Brown awarded Academy a penalty. Andrew Hardwick set Davie Allan on his way down the left wing. He hit the burners and drove into the box before John Hall sliced him down. Hall also found his way into the referee's note-book with a yellow card. Sam Mackay stepped up, sent Young to his right and the ball into the opposite corner of the net.

2 - 1

The visitors made a couple of changes with Andy Martin and Charlie Denton coming on for Scott Gormley and Steven Manson.

On 65 minutes Academy increased their lead. A long goal-kick from MacCallum flew over the heads of Gary Weir and John Williams. Davie Allan was on it in a flash and as he got a foot to it just inside the box keeper Young wiped him out. Dale O'Hara was covering which meant that Young got a yellow rather than a certain red, and referee Brown again pointed to the penalty spot.

Sam Mackay again took the responsibility for the spot-kick, this time hammering home into the keeper's bottom right hand corner with a well-placed shot.

3 - 1

From a corner a Kevin Kean cross was headed goal-wards by John Hall but MacCallum dived to his right and made the stop.

The visitors went down to 10 men on 73 minutes. An Academy goal-kick was flicked into the path of the on-rushing Steven Anderson. As he burst forward referee Brown adjudged John Williams to have clipped his heels just outside the penalty area and he picked up his second booking and an early bath.

Up the other end of the park and MacCallum did really well getting his foot to a shot from substitute John Kerr at the foot of his right hand post to clear the ball for a corner. From the corner MacCallum claimed it and he launched a long kick down-field to Davie Allan who had grass to burn down the left flank. Allan left Dale O'Hara in his wake but O'Hara jabbed out a left leg taking Allan down from behind. Referee Brown again pulled out the red card and the visitors were down to 9 men.

As Sam Mackay lined up the resulting free-kick words were exchanged in the Welfare wall with referee Brown and another red card was produced, this time for the substitute Andrew Martin, presumably for something said to the referee. Mackay's free-kick was saved by keeper Young at the second attempt as Gary Weir stormed in looking for the loose ball.

With less than 10 minutes left manager Connelly changed Gary Weir for Marc MacGregor and Sam Mackay for Richard Macadie. In Macadie's first touch of the ball he scored Academy's 4th goal and one that must stand a shout for contender for goal of the round. Gary Manson took a short corner on the Academy right to Macadie and from 25 yards out Macadie pinged it off his lacers and it flew passed the outstretched Young into the top left hand corner of his net.

4 - 1

In the last action of the match Academy won yet another penalty. Davie Allan twisted and turned passed Charlie Denton, played a one-two with Macadie which released him into the box and he was yet again sent to ground, this time by Scott McCulloch. Macadie took the spot-kick but fired it straight to keeper Young who had guessed the right way and referee Brown blew for full time.

Full Time - Wick Academy 4 - Whitehill Welfare 1