WAFC 2 - Inverurie Locos 2

 23rd November 2013 - Scottish Highland Football League  Harmsworth Park, Wick
 Wick Academy F.C.

  2 (Sam Mackay 26, Ross Allan 43)

WAFC Strip CommTeam: Michael Gray, Michael Steven, Gary Manson, Alan Farquharycard, Grant Steven, Craig Shearer, Sam Mackay, Stevie Cunninghamycard(Gary Weir 78), Lukasz Geruzel, Richard Macadie, Ross Allan.

Subs: Gary Weir, Shaun Sinclair, Bryan McKiddie, Alex Lamb, James More. 

  Inverurie Loco Works F.C.

 2 (Neil McLean 39, 51)  

InverurieTeam: Andy Reid, Neil McLean, Gordon Forsyth, Scott Beggycard(Marc Young 88), Kieran Adams, Ross Anderson, John Maitland, Ryan Broadhurst, Andrew Hunter(Mark Souter 61), Martin Bavidge, Dean Donaldson.

Subs: Mark Souter, Jamie Michie, Kenny Coull, Marc Young, Scott Mathieson.

 Referee:   Graham Elder

  Alan Farquhar 44
  Stevie Cunningham 47
  Scott Begg 86

 Sponsors Man of the Match:   Alan Farquhar

Academy and Inverurie served up a cracking game of football on a heavy park and periods of driving rain, and they shared the points with a 2-2 draw. Davie Allan was out for the Scorries but his brother Ross made the starting line-up and was one of the goal-scorers. Gary Weir has had a niggling hamstring injury and was only fit for a short run-out coming on for Stevie Cunningham with 12 minutes left to play. James Pickles was still unavailable due to the broken bone in his shoulder, but better news for Academy fans as Grant Steven returned after missing 12 games with a hamstring injury.

Inverurie had the better of the opening stages and created an early chance with only a few minutes played. The ball was flicked over the top of the Academy back-line for Martin Bavidge to run onto. He tried to dink the ball over the top of an advancing Michael Gray but he put too much on it and it went inches over the top of the cross-bar. 

It took Academy about 15 minutes to settle into their game and their first chance came from a free-kick which was floated into the Locos box. It was half-cleared and fell to Richard Macadie who hit a right foot volley that few past the outside of Andy Reid's left hand post.

Academy took the lead on 26 minutes. Some good play saw the ball go ping-pong in the Locos box before coming out to Sam Mackay on the edge of the box and he smacked a first-time drive that flew past Reid and into the net. 

1 - 0

Just after the half hour the Locos defence were again in action. Kieran Adams almost headed into his own net and the ball was cleared off the line. Lukasz Geruzel had a crack on the loose ball which was blocked and the danger was finally cleared for a corner.

5 Minutes later Gary Manson floated a free-kick into the Locos box. Craig Shearer got his head to it which caused another scramble in the box before it was finally cleared down-field. 

The visitors leveled the scores on 39 minutes. The ball was worked across the edge of the Academy box where Neil McLean ran onto it and struck a sweet right foot strike that beat Michael Gray low to his left and found the net after kissing off the inside of the post.

1 - 1 

2 minutes before the half-time break Academy regained the lead. Stevie Cunningham was slid into the box and went one-on-one with keeper Reid. Reid managed to get a hand to Cunningham's shot to make a good block. Cunningham was sharp and picked up the re-bound and fired it across goal where it hit off the post and Ross Allan was on hand to knock it home from only 2 yards out for his first league goal of the season.

2 - 1 

Half Time - Wick Academy 2 - Inverurie Locos 1

Driving rain welcomed the teams for the start of the second half but the standard of good flowing football didn't stop and Andrew Hunter had the first half-chance for the visitors but Gray made a comfortable save.

5 minutes in the second half Neil McLean scored his second to level the scores. The ball was cleared out of the Academy box following a Locos attack and it fell to Mclean about 25 yards out. Academy were not quick enough to close him down allowing him time to pick his spot and he rifled home with another great right-foot strike. 

2 - 2

At the other end Michael Steven sent a great ball across the face of goal but there were no takers for it, and Richard Macadie then had a similar attempt that Reid got a hand to knocking it out of harms way.

In the 66th minute Richard Macadie took a short corner that was returned to him and from the edge of the box he fired in a cross cum shot which bounced off the top of Reid's cross-bar. 

Ross Allan was next to have a crack but Reid was again on hand to get a hand on his crossed ball.

In the last of the action Academy tried to grab the winner. Geruzel got the ball to feet in the middle of the Locos box and he twisted and turned before getting off a shot that was deflected over the top of goal for a corner which was cleared by the Locos defence and referee Graham Elder blew for full time.

Full Time - Wick Academy 2 - Inverurie Locos 2