HL Roundup - 9th Nov 2013

Highland League round-up
Saturday November 9th
A late Weir goal secures the win against Keith

Wick Academy 1 - Keith 0
Wick Academy left it late to beat Keith at Harmsworth Park but were lucky not to be behind just before they scored. Sam Smith found himself unmarked at the back post but he could not steer the ball into the empty net. In the next attack Gary Weir got to the by-line and he cut the ball back but a Keith defender got a touch on the ball to score the only goal of the game.

Nairn County 3 - Clachnacuddin 2
Nairn needed two late goals at home to Clach to secure all three points. Nairn found themselves behind after 13 minutes when Blair Lawrie scrambled the ball home. Just on half-time Conor Gethins netted from a tight angle to level the score. Clach scored a second in the 85th minute when Paul Brindle lashed the ball home. Nairn scored the first of their late goals in the 88th minute when Archie MacPhee rolled the ball home. The winner came in the fourth minute of stoppage time when Michael Morrison got on the end of a corner to net. 

Lossiemouth 0 - Deveronvale 1
Charlie Charlesworth's Deveronvale came back to haunt his old side Lossiemouth at Grant Park, the only goal of the game midway through the first half when the ball broke to Craig Cowie and he made no mistake firing past the keeper.

Buckie Thistle 1 - Huntly 0
Buckie had a narrow win at home to Huntly. The visitors were first to threaten but Hrjove Kovacevic could only fire straight at the keeper. Lewis MacKinnon was causing the visitors problems but it was sub Craig MacMillan who scored the winner with his first touch bending the ball into the top corner giving the keeper no chance. 

Cove Rangers 5 - Turriff United 3
Cove went nap at home to Turriff but the visitors managed to score three themselves making this game an eight goal thriller. The first goal came for Turriff when Gary McGowan netted straight from a corner. Minutes later Ryan Stott leveled the scores before Blair Yule put Cove in front. Scott Webster added a third for Cove before Jamie Lennox made it 4-1. Mike McKenzie came off the bench to net against his former side to give Turriff hope, but Lennon added his second to restore the three goal cushion before Gary Harris netted a late penalty. 

Brora Rangers 6 - Rothes 0
Brora opened the scoring in the 20th minute at home to Rothes when Zander Sutherland was on hand to net from Steven Mackay's assist. Grant Munro added a second with a powerful shot after 53 minutes. A poor back pass allowed Mackay the chance to net past the Rothes keeper which he did. Richie Hart set up Andrew Greig for number four before Hart added two late goals, the second a free-kick from 25 yards to complete the scoring.

Fort William 0 - Inverurie Locos 6
Inverurie took an early lead away to Fort William when Martin Bavidge netted from 8 yards. Neil Gauld made it 2-0 when he headed home Dean Donaldson's cross. Keiran Adams netted a third when he headed a Greg Mitchell free-kick in the 33rd minute. Just six minutes later and it was four when Iain Foggo scored an own goal. Donaldson made it 5-0 on the hour mark when he fired the ball across the face of goal before Gauld completed the scoring with a low effort from 25 yards. 

Forres Mechanics 3 - Strathspey Thistle 0
Strathspey Thistle nearly opened the scoring away to Forres but Josh Peters shot wide. Moments after this Forres took the lead when Kyle Scott fired home from 18 yards. Lee Fraser added a second when he netted from a Simon Allan cross. Scott added his second in second half stoppage time to give the Can Cans a 3-0 win.

Fraserburgh 0 - Formartine United 1
Formartine had to rely on a stoppage time winner to grab all three points away to Fraserburgh. Peter Bruce had the best chance for Fraserburgh in the first half but he could only fire straight at the keeper. In the second half Cammy Keith rounded the Broch keeper but stumbled as he was about to shoot but he managed to cut the ball back to Daniel Park whose shot was blocked on the line. The winner came in the 91st minute when Michael Ewen diverted a shot past the keeper.