SC & HL Roundup - 1st December 2012

Highland League & Scottish Cup round-up
Saturday December 1st
Leyden secures a point for leaders Cove as Scorries are frozen out

Cove Rangers have extended their lead at the top of the Highland League, but they had to settle for a point in a 1-1 draw at Buckie.

The Jags took the lead in the third minute when a Shaun Carroll corner led to a scramble in the box and Joe Sutherland was on hand to poke the ball into the net.

The equaliser came seven minutes into the second half when Richie Singer delivered a looping cross which Jordan Leyden converted at the back post.

Academy remain second despite having a blank Saturday after their home fixture against Strathspey Thistle was postponed because of a frozen pitch. This weekend it is the Scorries' turn to visit Victoria Park and they'll be aiming to complete a double over Buckie, having beaten the Jags 2-1 at home in August.

Inverurie came back from 3-1 down to grab a 3-3 draw against Nairn County at Station Park.

Locos went ahead in spectacular fashion after 41 minutes when Neil McLean unleashed a 25-yard shot that flew in via the crossbar.

It was all square three minutes later as Wayne Mackintosh found the net with a curling effort, and Nairn got themselves in front on the stroke of half-time when a superb move culminated in a close-range finish from Conor Gethins.

The Irish striker slotted home his second of the game after 65 minutes, but a minute later Locos reduced the deficit when a Stuart McKay effort was deflected in off Andy Low.

Locos pushed for an equaliser and it came on 88 minutes when a cross fell to Clark Bain and he hammered it past Callum Donaldson.

There was a late flurry of goals at Grant Street Park as Clachnacuddin beat Rothes 3-1 to move up to fifth place.

Gordon Morrison fired the Lilywhites in front after eight minutes but it took them until the 86th minute to double their lead through Chris Ross. The 90 minutes were just about up when Sean Ellis added a third for Clach before Greg Simpson lobbed home a consolation goal for the Speysiders.

Fraserburgh staged a late comeback to beat Huntly 3-2 at Bellslea Park.

The Broch opened the scoring on 14 minutes when a speculative effort from William West struck a post and the ball was adjudged to have crossed the line before keeper Shaun Barney could reach it.

Huntly got themselves level on 25 minutes with a close-range finish from Andrzej-Slawomir Kleczkowski and seven minutes later the Polish forward added his second with a powerful shot.

There were 12 minutes remaining when Graham Johnston slammed in a free kick to make it 2-2, and with 83 minutes on the clock Scott Barbour ran clear to slot home Fraserburgh's winner.

League champions Forres Mechanics won 1-0 at Brora to gain revenge for their opening-day defeat against the Sutherland side. The decisive moment came after 65 minutes when Kyle Scott rose above the defence to head home from a corner.

Lossiemouth left it late before securing all three points in a 3-1 victory over Fort William at Grant Park.

Lossie went ahead after five minutes with a Ricky Wardrop head-flick. The Lochaber men had earned a 3-3 draw at Buckie in their previous outing and they looked on course for another good away point when they equalised after 73 minutes, Darren Quigg scoring from the spot after Ryan Macdonald had been fouled by Tony Ross.

However, Ross Archibald restored the Coasters' advantage in the 80th minute when he steered in a 12-yard shot. Two minutes later Archibald struck again to wrap up the points, getting on the end of a low cross and blasting the ball high into the net.

The two Highland League clubs in Scottish Cup action both acquitted themselves well against SFL opposition. Turriff United earned a 1-1 draw at home to Morton, while Deveronvale went down 2-1 away to Raith Rovers.