Nairn 5 - WAFC 2

Wick travelled to Station park today hoping to extend their 3 game un-beaten run. A supports bus helped to swell the crowd, but it was the Nairn fans that went home the happier of the two.

The game started lively enough with both sides having good chances within the first 10 minutes. Nairn through a Johnny Seaton shot that Don MacMillan saved, and that was followed by a strong run by Davie Cowie that released  Nigel Mackenzie and his 20 yard attempt was saved well by the Nairn keeper James  Calder.

Academy then got a sucker punch as Nairn took the lead in the 10th minute when a free-kick from well inside the Nairn half was hoisted into the Academy Box. It wasn’t defended all that well by Academy and the Nairn number 10 Ian Brooks managed to get his head to it and it sneaked past Don.

1 – 0

Wick responded almost straight away when in the 12th minute Davie Cowie had another strong run into the Nairn half and had a good attempt from about 20 yards out that went just high and wide of the Nairn goal.

Nairn doubled their lead in the 26th minute when some scrappy defending from Academy saw them give the ball away about 35 yards from their goal. A nothing sort of ball from Nairn squeezed through the legs of Andrew Macleod and Nairn number 23 William Barron ran through to fire home from about 12 yards out.

2 – 0

Shaun Sinclair was booked in the 29th minute for a heavy tackle, and then in 30 minutes Nairn had another good attempt, this time a flashing header from John Seaton that just went past Dons left hand post.

Ian Brooks then scored his second goal of the day in the 36th minute when he ran though the Academy defence and slotted home a good goal with a right foot shot from about 16 yards out.

3 – 0

Academy had a great chance to pull one back just before the half ended as Davie Cowie went on another good run down the right. He had a good right foot shot from about 25 yards but it unfortunately went just over the Nairn bar.

Half Time 3 - 0

Alistair made one change at half time with Gary Farquhar coming off for Mark Nichol.

Nairn continue to pressure in the second half, and 8 minutes after the re-start they scored again. This time a cross came into the Academy box and seemed to go though all the defenders who were trying to connect with it. It fell to Tony Low and he cracked home a good volley from about 20 yards.

4 – 0

If things were not bad enough Wick then went a further goal behind in the 58th minute when a Nairn corner seemed to get several touches in the Academy box before William Barron connected with it and sent it past Don

5 - 0

To give Academy their credit they kept battling and in the 64th minute Nigel had a chance cleared off the line by the last Nairn defender. Jamie was then booked by referee Robertson after he looked to have fairly won the ball in a strong challenge, and 2 minutes later Nigel had a good shot from 24 yards out that went just over the Nairn cross-bar.

Alistair made his last two changes in the 69th minute with Gavin Henderson and Gary Weir coming on for Andrew Macleod and Nigel Mackenzie.

Academy then started to come into the game and in the 72nd minute Gavin Henderson played a long pass that found its way though to Mark Nichol who hit a powerful drive past the Nairn keeper James Calder from about 12 yards out.

5 – 1

This sparked the Academy suport and players into life and in the 79th minute a good run and 20 yard strike by Martin Gunn looked goal-bound but keeper Calder managed to get finger-tips to it and sent it over the cross bar for a corner. The resulting corner was fired into the Nairn box and after a flurry of blocked shots from within the Nairn box it finally got converted by Graeme Reid.

5 - 2

3 minutes from the full-time whistle Academy nearly pulled back yet another when Mark Nichol had a good chance from close range that he fired high over the Nairn cross-bar.

Final score 5 – 2

This was a game that saw Nairn have 3 chances in the first half and score from each one of them. At half time Academy certainly didn’t deserve to be that many behind, but they let themselves down a little with some poor defending. They looked better in the second half and battled all the way to the final whistle. If a few more of their chances had gone in this game may have told a different story, so Wick must now put this behind them and move onto next weeks away fixture to Lossiemouth.

The sponsors man of the match was the Nairn number 10 Ian Brooks.