Wick Academy v Fraserburgh - Scot Ads HL Fixture 22/10/05

Wick end Fraserburgh's unbeaten run in the Highland League.

The Highland League leaders came North looking to secure three points only to leave empty handed as Wick caused the upset of the weekend.
Two goals in the last eight minutes saw Wick Academy shock table toppers Fraserburgh and in the process claimed their first home league victory of the season.

Fraserburgh were into their stride quickly when Michael Stephen turned Gary Farquhar inside the penalty area before rifling a rightfoot effort over the bar from the edge of the box.

And not to be out done Gary Farquhar had Wick's first opportunity when he took a return pass from Martin Gunn to fire a ferocious 30 yard drive inches over Billy Gordon's cross bar.

With nine minutes played Wick were looking the more likely to score and went very close to doing just that when Martin Gunn played the ball between the Broch defence for Shearer to run thro on goal, however Gordon raced from his line to save at the feet of the midfielder 14yds from goal.

By now Wick had the bit between their teeth and they kept pressing for the goal their play deserved. Former St.Johnstone Midfielder Gary Farquhar playing in his preferred midfield role split the Broch defence with a deft touch to send Nichol thro on goal 14yds out, however he rushed his shot and sliced the ball well wide of the target.

Fraserburgh were hardly seen as an attacking force as Wick retained possession well and kept forcing the Broch onto the back foot.

Again Wick went on the attack, Nigel Mackenzie drove down the left to send over a dangerous cross to the back post which was narrowly missed by David Cowie under pressure from the Broch defence.

In a half which Wick dominated possession, belying their  league position to show up well against the table toppers, however chances were at a premium and they still had no goals to show for their superiority.

However Nichol nearly changed all that in the final minute of the half when Cowie sent the ball beyond the Broch defence which resulted in a 50/50 race for the ball between Nichol and Gordon in the Broch goal, the big Wick striker slid in to take the ball from the feet of the keeper, however as he tried to get to his feet to fire the ball goal wards Neil Main came to his sides rescue by booting the ball clear.

Wick left the field of play to the applause of the Wick support who obviously appreciated the effort their players were putting in.

Half-Time Wick 0 v 0 Fraserburgh

Wick started the second half where they left of in the first, on the attack when Nigel MacKenzie played in Mark Nichol 16yds from goal, the striker's first time drive however was saved by the legs of Gordon in the Broch goal before being cleared to safety.
At the other end Michael Stephen went within inches of opening the scoring for his side when the Broch were awarded a free-kick 22yds out, Stephen sent in a dipping left foot shot from that flew narrowly over McMillan's bar.
Having seen a substitution result in a goal in midweek Charlie Duncan clearly has the midas touch at the moment, when his decision to put on Mark Cowie for James Geddes paying  dividends in 59mins.
A cross into the box from Norris found the diminutive midfielder Cowie, however he went down very easily under a challenge by Graeme Reid and to everyone's surprise including the Broch players, the referee pointed to the penalty spot to award a very soft penalty.

The Wick support, players and management alike were up in arms with the refs decision, however he wasn't about to change his mind.

And not to look a gift horse in the mouth Gavin Wemyss stepped up to fire the ball home from the penalty spot, sending McMillan the wrong way from 12 yards.

Wick 0 v 1 Fraserburgh

This gave Fraserburgh a big lift and they started to enjoy a much better spell of possession without really troubling MacMillan in the Wick goal,  infact apart from the penalty the Broch didn't have one shot on target during open play such was the effort all the Wick players were putting into the match.

However the Wick players effort was rewarded in 82mins when they got the goal their play deserved.

Martin Macgregor played a long ball up the right wing to Murray Coghill and the young sub's run and cross found his fellow sub and leading Wick scorer Jamie Mackenzie inside the Broch box, MacKenzie reacted brillantly to fire an unstoppable half volley high over the head of Billy Gordon and into the net for a well deserved equaliser from 16 yards out much to the delight of all inside the Harmsworth Park, the Broch apart.

Wick 1 v 1 Fraserburgh

Game on, and Wick took confidence from that and threw everything at the Broch defence and were awarded four minutes from time with a goal from Jamie's Bro Nigel MacKenzie which was to turn out to be the winning goal. Gary Manson cut the Broch defence open with a throughball that sent Nigel Mackenzie scurrying thro on goal, with the Broch players and management appealing for off-side Nigel MacKenzie rounded Gordon to fire home from 6yds, which resulted in mass celebrations all around the Harmsworth Park.

Wick 2 v 1 Fraserburgh

In the final minutes that was left to play the Broch tried everything they could to get back into the game but Wick could sense victory was within their grasp and they were not about to give it up and defended as if their lifes depended on it.

At the sound of the final whistle the Harmsworth park crowd erupted  with delight as the distraught Broch players marched from the field with their heads bowed.

As for the Wick players they didn't want to come of the park, clearly wanting to savour the moment that bit longer.

Full Time: Wick Academy 2 Fraserburgh 1

The result meant that Wick were the first team to end the unbeaten run of the Broch and in doing so sent the HL leaders of the top.

Wick thoroughly deserved their victory given the large amount of possession they enjoyed, they played with confidence and commitment, stroking the ball about park as if they themselves were the league leaders.

The Wick support left the scene of victory clearly bouyed by their teams display to disappear into all the watering holes to celebrate their teams shock result.

The Wick players gave great performances all over the park, however I have to mention the big contribution from youngster Shaun Sinclair who was making his first start for Wick since signing from Ross County.

The young right back gave a very assured display, with timely interventions to break up Broch attacks and passed the ball about with the confidence of a seasoned campaigner before eventually being replaced late in the game due to an injury. However the youngster can be delighted with his performance in what was a brillant debut.

The League leaders came North expecting a hard game and they got just that and the Broch can have no complaints about the outcome, although their management were very aggrieved at the winning goal, as they felt it was a few yards off-side and they certainly made their views very clear to the officials at the end.


Wick; MacMillan, Sinclair(MacGregor 80),MacLeod, Reid, Manson, Farquhar, Gunn, Shearer, Nichol(J.MacKenzie 68), Cowie(Coghill 45), N.MacKenzie.

Subs not used: Lamb, Weir.

Fraserburgh; Gordon, Milne, West, N.Main, Christie, Geddes(Cowie 54), Norris(Noble 90), Wemyss(S.Main 87), McBride, Johnston, Stephen.

Subs not used: Dickson, Thomson.


Wick; Farquhar 85.

Fraserburgh; Main 61.

MoM: Andrew MacLeod (Wick)

Reporter: Alan Farquhar