WAFC 4 - Strathspey Thistle 1

 17th December 2011 - Scottish Highland Football League  Harmsworth Park, Wick
 Wick Academy F.C.  4 (Davie Allan 1, Sam Mackay 26, 31, Stevie Cunningham 67)

WAFC Home 2011-12 webTeam:  Michael Gray, Stevie Cunningham(Alan Hughes 83), Ross Allan, Alan Farquhar, Michael Steven, Craig Shearer, Stewart Ross(Bryan McKiddie 71), Sam Mackay, Gary Weirycard, Richard Macadie, Davie Allan(James Mackay 76).

Subs: Gary Manson, Shaun Sinclair, Bryan McKiddie, James Mackay, Alan Hughes.

  Strathspey Thistle F.C.

 1 (Alan Farquhar OG 75)

StrathspeyTeam: William Ridgers, Donald Horsburgh, Jordan Wardrope(Jamie Sutherland 63), Fraser Tulloch, Nicholas Mochan, Adam MacLeod(Darren Ross 83), Joseph Hardie, Steven MacDonald, Mateusz Borrowowski, Terry Swinton(Paul MacArthur 76), Sandis Reinsonsycard.

Subs: Paul MacArthur, Darren Ross, Scot Smith, Jamie Sutherland, Andis Klarkins.

 Referee:  Billy Baxter

 Sandis Reinsons 69
 Gary Weir 77

 Sponsors Man of Match:  Davie Allan

Heavy rain and a hard ground frost presented a few problems running up to this fixture, but tremendous work by the Academy ground-staff and volunteers paid off as referee Billy Baxter gave the green light for the game to start.

For the second game in a row Academy flew out of the block and scored within the first minutes. Almost straight from the kick-off Weir back-heeled the ball into the path of Macadie but Macadie's shot from 10 yards out brushed off the outside of keeper Ridgers's right had post.

The opener wasn't long in coming though as in the next attack. Weir again was the provider as he cut the ball from the bye-line into the penalty area. Davie Allan took a touch to control the ball and then rifles home, this time off the inside of Ridger's right hand post.

1 - 0

Davie Allan showed his pace in the next attacking move as he pushed the ball beyond the Strathspey back line and powered past leaving the defense in his wake.  His shot however went straight to the keeper who made a comfortable save.

With 26 minutes on the clock the Scorries doubled their lead. Macadie and Weir had a neat interchange of passes before Weir slid the ball to Sam Mackay who slotted home.

2 - 0

Strathspey almost pulled one back 2 minutes later. Some hesitancy in the Academy defence gifted the ball to Mateusz Borrowski and the Polish striker chipped Gray who was off his line but his effort went wide of target.

Academy looked threatening with every attack and just before the half hour Davie Allan past to Sam Mackay who flicked the ball into the path of Macadie who leathered the ball on target but Donald Horsburgh got his body in the way and made an important block.

The 3rd goal came soon afterwards.  Nicholas Mochan (Choccy) dallied on the ball and gave away possession.  Dave Allan drove forward and his shot that looked goal-bound was blocked by Ridgers but the re-bound looped back out and Sam Mackay dived for the ball and headed home for his second of the game.

3 - 0

Academy had two further good chances before the half time break when Davie Allan had an attempt at the near post deflected for a corner. Macadie swung the corner in and Cunningham picked up the ball and walked it into the box before having his shot blocked, and Shearer's follow-up attempt was also blocked by heroic Strathspey defending as they put their bodies in the line of fire.

Half time 3 - 0

Academy started the second half as they did the first almost scoring in the first minutes.  Stewart Ross drove a shot on target and it looked as if it had the beating of Ridgers but Mochan got a foot on the ball and it flew just past the post.

Academy continued to dominate the goal scoring opportunities with Shearer having another shot deflected wide off the back of defender Horsburgh, and Davie Allan had a flashing attempt whistle just past the up-right.

Weir missed a sitter with 20 minutes of the second half played. Ross Allan drove out of defence showing the Strathspey defence a clear pair of heals and cut back from the bye-line for Weir who was unmarked in the middle of the box and with just the keeper to beat he had a fresh-air shot and the danger was cleared.

2 minutes later Academy scored their 4th and put the game well and truly to bed. Davie Allan slid a neat pass through a packed penalty area for Cunningham and he marched forward before finishing with some confidence from 8 yards out, his 8th league goal of the campaign.

Strathspey almost pulled a goal back in the 69th minute when Mochan broke free and hit a good effort on target but Gray got down well and palmed the ball clear of goal.

Strathspey's best attempt of the game came in the 75th minute. Sandis Reinson picked the ball up just outside the penalty area and spotted Gray off his line and lobbed a great attempt on target but Alan Farquhar covered back and acrobatically cleared the ball of his line for a corner when it looked a certainty to have been a goal. The corner kick was fired in low to the near post and in an attempt to clear the ball Farquhar sliced it into his own net for an OG.

4 - 1

Academy had two further chances to increase the goal tally before the game ended. Sam Mackay had a header on target and Jordan Wardrope got a foot to the ball and sent it just past the outside of the post.

Weir then capped or a frustrating afternoon for himself in front of goal as Sam Mackay drove to the bye-line and cut the ball back across the face of goal. Keeper Ridgers had come to cover his post and the ball landed at the feet of Weir but he managed to smash his attempt against the body of Fraser Tulloch when it looked easier to have scored.

Full time 4 - 1

Sponsor's man of the match Davie Allan
Pictured receiving his award from Alistair Gunn on behalf of match sponsor GM's Old Timers

D Allan MOM strath sized