Wick Academy Football club Official web Site - WAFC - Harmsworth park - Wick 6 - Lossiemouth 0

Adverts - Click Below
Thursday, 19 July 2018
Home arrow News Items\Reports arrow Results arrow Wick 6 - Lossiemouth 0
Wick 6 - Lossiemouth 0 Print E-mail
Written by Melanie Roger   
Saturday, 02 September 2017
 2nd September 2017 - Scottish Highland Football League  Harmsworth Park, Wick
 Wick Academy F.C.

  6 (Steven Anderson 9, 12, 80, Marc Macgregor 40, Gordon McNab 45, Sam Mackay 87)

WAFC_New_Front_wTeam: Sean McCarthy, Andrew Hardwick, Grant Steven(c) (Brandon Sinclair 20), Danny Mackay (Aidan Reid 76), Ross Allan (Sam Mackay 45), Jack Halliday, Gordon McNab, Marc Macgregor, Gary Manson, Steven Anderson, Richard Macadie

Subs: Korbyn Cameron, Sam Mackay, Aidan Reid, Brandon Sinclair, Danny McCarthy.    

  Lossiemouth F.C.  

lossiemouth_adidasTeam: Stewart Black, Ross Duncan (Logan Johnstone 45), Anthony Ross, Ally Bellingham, Ian Macrae, Aaron Mclean (Murray Bushall 65), Ross Archibald (Scott Dunn 62), Ryan Farquhar, Harry Noble, Kelvin Mackenzie, Liam Archibald

Subs: James Mclaren, Scott Dunn, Lewis Hendry, Connor Macauly, Murray Bushall, Logan Johnstone,

 Referee:  Ben Dempster
 Sponsors Man of the Match:  Sean McCarthy
 Match Photos - Mel & Bob Roger:  Match photos

An entertaining match was  played out in the sunshine at Harmsworth Park on Saturday afternoon.

Lossie got the match underway with the first attack of the afternoon after 2 minutes  but the final shot was deflected and went straight thru to Wick keeper Sean McCarthy.

Another attack by Lossie's Ryan Farquhar after 6 minutes as he drove into 18 yard box but a sliding Danny Mackay managed to block his shot and the ball went out for corner.

Academy made their first breakthrough after 7 minutes  - a cross in from the right found Steven Anderson at the left post in front of defender Ross Duncan, and Anderson's header back across the keeper hit the back of the net

Into the 11th minute and Academy were back on the attack, a ball in from the left looked to have fallen to Gordon McNab but Anthony Ross recovered well for Lossiemouth and he managed to get a toe to the ball as McNab was about to pull the trigger.

Lossiemouth's relief was short lived as a minute later, after good work by Marc Macgregor to hold the ball up in the penalty box, the ball broke to Steven Anderson who's shot from the 18 yard line flew past keeper Stewart Black and into the bottom right corner of the net.

Lossiemouth regrouped almost immediately and an attack by Ross Archibald down the right wing needed Danny Mackay at full stretch to clear the ball for a corner.

Twenty minutes and Wick's first substitution of the afternoon, when Grant Steven pulled up and was replaced by Brandon Sinclair.

The fans at Harmsworth Park were being treated to good attacking football by both teams and it was Lossie's turn to ramp up the pressure after 25 minutes when Kelvin Mackenzie drove forward and laid the ball off to Ross Archibald, but his rasping shot was met by the outstretched hand of Wick keeper Sean McCarthy as the ball was inches from crossing the line.

Next was a penalty claim for Wick as the ball appeared to bounce off the hand of Ian Macrae just inside the 6 yard box. Referee Ben Dempster waived away the appeals of the Academy players.

Straight back up the pitch for Lossiemouth and Ross Archibald unleashed another shot, only to be thwarted once again by a diving save to the right by Wick keeper McCarthy.  Lossie were first to the loose ball and it was returned to the middle of the box where a goal mouth scramble ensued.  Wick eventually cleared the ball with a combination of a point blank Sean McCarthy block and a Danny Mackay header from a close range shot from Lossie's Kelvin Mackenzie.

Lossiemouth didn't let up and just after the half hour mark Ross Archibald broke to the bye-line, pulled the ball back to Liam Archibald, only for his low shot to be blocked on the goal line by the inspired McCarthy, and cleared by Wick defender Andrew Hardwick.

Having soaked up the Lossiemouth pressure, Academy moved forward with some crisp passing play between Gordon McNab and Richard Macadie.  Macadie fed the ball through to Steven Anderson on the left,  Anderson , on a hat-trick, saw his shot beat keeper Stewart Black but rebound  off the far post and straight back to himself  - this time Anderson squared the ball across the goal for the waiting Marc Macgregor to tap in for Academy's third goal.

Wick pressed home their advantage and two minutes later Gordon McNab found himself in space at the corner of the 18 yard box, but his shot was well saved as Stewart Black dived to his left.

With a minute to half time Steven Anderson made another run down the left, crossed the ball to Gordon McNab who lashed the ball past the Lossie keeper at his near post.

Half time Wick 4 v Lossiemouth 0

Although half time score probably flattered Wick a little they were well deserving of their four goals and Lossiemouth must have been left scratching their heads as to how they still were not in this match and maybe even on level terms.

Second Half

Substitutions at half time:  Wick - Ross Allan off  Sam Mackay on  Lossiemouth - Ross Duncan off  Logan Johnstone on

The second half started off much as the first had ended with both sides trading attacking moves but as the match wore on Wick began to dominate play.

Steven Anderson was finding more space down the left and went on a strong run down the wing - but was tracked all the way by Anthony Ross who forced the Wick man to run out of space and the ball crossed the line for a goal kick.

On 50 minutes Richard Macadie made space for himself but his shot just crept over the crossbar with the Lossie keeper at full stretch. This was followed by some sharp passing between Gordon McNab and Marc Macgregor, but McNab's cross into the box was cut out by the Lossiemouth defence.  Academy were now attacking down both flanks and had Sam Mackay surging through the middle of the field but the Lossiemouth defense was standing firm, rebuffing every Wick attack.

Substitutions for Lossie 62 mins  Ross Archibald off Scott Dunn on   and 65 mins - Aaron Mclean off Murray Bushall on

Lossie's best chance of the second half came in the 75th minute when a cross in from the left  found no 24 unmarked in the middle of the 6 yard box but he scuffed what looked like a simple tap in wide of the left post.

76th minute substitution for Wick:  Danny Mackay off   Aidan Reid on

The Lossie keeper was called into action again in the 77th minute when a sweeping move across the pitch ended with a Steven Anderson volley, forcing a diving save from Stewart Black.

Steven Anderson completed his hat-trick with ten minutes to go - a drive through midfield by Sam Mackay  - pass to Steven Anderson - back to Sam Mackay - back to Steven Anderson and a low drive that beat the oncoming Stewart Black and the ball hit the back of the net.

Sam Mackay rounded off the scoring for Wick in the 86th minute courtesy of a Gary Manson shot from the left hand side of the penalty box that crashed off the bottom of the far post and rebounded into his path. Mackay teed himself up and his shot flew past Stewart Black.  Wick 6 Lossiemouth 0

Last Updated ( Monday, 11 September 2017 )
< Previous   Next >

Pld Pts
10. Rothes 34 49
11. Huntly 34 49
12. Wick Academy 34 46
13. Clachnacuddin 34 41
14. Turriff United 34 37
Main Menu
News Items\Reports
SHFL Roundups
Table & Fixtures
Club History
Cup Details
Squad Details
Player Stats
News Blog
Photo Gallery
Scorrie Scoop Details
Scoop Winners
Premier Club Details
Premier Club Winners
WAFC Amazon Store
Sponsorship Packages
Match\Ball Sponsorship
Sports Science
WEB Links
Contact Us
FAQ & Help
Guest Book
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Youth Football
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Scorrie Scoop
User Stats
338 registered
0 today
0 this week
0 this month
Members: 340
News: 2202
WebLinks: 108
Visitors: 11510099
Content WAFC 2010 - Built, Configured & Art Work by John Briskham, Wick Academy Football Club.