Wick Academy Football club Official web Site - WAFC - Harmsworth park - Wick Academy 1 - Turriff United 1

Adverts - Click Below
Thursday, 19 July 2018
Home arrow News Items\Reports arrow Results arrow Wick Academy 1 - Turriff United 1
Wick Academy 1 - Turriff United 1 Print E-mail
Written by Melanie Roger   
Monday, 28 August 2017
 26th August 2017 - Scottish Highland Football League  Harmsworth Park, Wick
 Wick Academy F.C.

  1 (Gordon McNab 73)

WAFC_New_Front_wTeam: Sean McCarthy, Brandon Sinclair, Grant Steven (C) ycard, Danny Mackay, Ross Allan, Jack Halliday, Sam Mackay, Gordon McNab, Gary Manson, Steven Anderson, Richard Macadie

Subs: Korbyn Cameron, Marc Macgregor, Jack Henry, Andrew Hardwick, Aidan Reid (U), Alan Hughes (T), Danny McCarthy.    

  Turriff United F.C.   1 (Scott Miller 16)

turriffunited_nike_awayTeam: Kevin Main, Owen Cairns (David Ross 83), James Chalmers, Darren Wood (Calum Reid 86), Cameron Bowden, Christopher Herdycard, David Booth, Kevin Flett, Louis Myers, Scott Millerycard, Allen macKenzie

Subs: Ryan Botell, Nikolas Wozniak, David Ross, Calum Reid, Robert Allan, Jordi Walker, Aaron Sherman 

 Referee:   Filippo Mazzoni
 Bookings:   Christopher Herd 71
  Scott Miller 75
  Grant Steven 92
 Sponsors Man of the Match:   Gordon McNab
 Match Photos - Mel & Bob Roger: Link to match photos

Academy started this one off with a positive approach and within 3 minutes had a Danny Mackay shot from a Sam Mackay cross blocked by a Turriff defence. Turriff replied immediately with a run down the left by Allen Mackenzie but his cross fell safely into hands of Wick keeper Sean McCarthy.

In the 9th minute Gordon McNab made space for himself on the left edge of the 6 yard box and his shot had Turriff's Kevin Main diving to his right to smother ball.  Turriff moved into the ascendency towards the end of the first quarter and a long pass found Louis Myers on the left wing - he drove to the by-line, his cutback found the gap between Wick keeper Sean McCarthy and defender Danny Mackay but David Booth at the far post could not make contact for the visitors.

The Academy defence was coming under increasing pressure and when another attack down the Turriff left allowed a shot from the edge of the box by Louis Myers, Grant Steven had to be on hand to  make an all-important block.

The Turriff breakthrough came in the 16th minute - a driving run down the left wing saw Allen Mackenzie get past Brandon Sinclair and his cross was met with a low drive by Scott Miller which beat keeper Sean McCarthy to his right. 1 nil Turriff.

Academy regrouped and pressed forward - after 25 minutes a flurry of action in the Turriff penalty area saw Darren Wood block a Steven Anderson shot from 6 yards, Cammy Bowden clear the ball to the edge of the 18 yard box, only for Richard Macadie to return ball straight back in, but Wick could not find the final touch and the ball was eventually collected by Kevin Main.

Another chance for Wick on the half hour but a header at back post by Danny Mackay flew over the bar.

On the half hour Jack Halliday was caught by a trailing elbow from Scott Miller and play was brought to a halt for a few minutes.  The resulting Wick free kick came to nothing and Turriff made a break, the ball finding Louis Myers at the edge of 18 yard box, but the onrushing Sean McCarthy did enough to put the Turriff man off his shot.

Second Half

Turriff came out strongly at the start of the second half with Owen Cairns lashing a shot over the bar within a minute of the restart. The next real chance came on the hour when Darren Wood met a corner with a powerful header from the edge of 6 yard box.  The ball flashed across the goal with no one able to get a touch.  Another chance for Turriff after 67 minutes when a thundering shot by Louis Myers from 25 yards had the Wick keeper rooted to the spot, but the ball crashed back off the post.

Academy's turn to attack:  and a driving run forward by Jack Halliday was tracked across pitch by Scott Miller, who eventually lunged at the Wick player from behind - advantage played by Referee Flippo Mazzoni and Halliday's pass forward found Gordon McNab who put in a rasping cross that was headed behind by Darren Wood for a corner. Referee Mazzoni called over Scott Miller but despite calls from Wick players and fans alike only administered a warning to the Turriff forward.

Referee Filippo Mazzoni produced his first yellow card of the afternoon to Turriff's Chris Herd after 71 minutes for a late tackle on Richard Macadie.

73 minutes - goal for Wick Academy!! - Great passing move and Gordon McNab latched onto a through ball 10 yards out and fired his shot high into the net past Kevin Main, for his opening goal for Academy. Wick 1 - Turriff 1.

Filippo Mazzoni had his yellow card out again in the 75th minute when Scott Miller went through the back of Grant Steven as the Wick man attempted to clear his goal line.

Into the last 15 minutes and Sam Mackay powered down the left, hurdled a challenge from James Chalmers and fired a cross into the six yard box that was well cut out by Cammy Bowden for a Wick corner.

End to end stuff ensued:  Scott Miller forced a great save from Sean McCarthy, then immediately, Academy broke down left with Gary Manson but with Kevin Main at full stretch Manson's shot went just wide of his far post.

Academy switched the play and drove down the right wing with Brandon Sinclair  - Grant Steven met Sinclair's cross but his header was cleared by Owen Cairns for corner.

Two substitutions for Turriff in the final ten minutes:  Owen Cairns replaced by David Ross after landing heavily in a challenge Jack Halliday and Darren Wood limped off to be replaced by Calum Reid.

As the match entered the dying minutes there was another chance for Wick - a  free kick was awarded to Academy after tussle between Gary Manson and David Booth,  Gary Manson fired the ball into the box but it was punched  well clear by keeper Kevin Main.

Into the 92nd minute and a booking for Grant Steven after missing ball as he slid in to tackle Calum Reid.  The last chance of the match fell to Turriff from the resulting free kick but Grant Steven headed clear before McCarthy collected ball as the final whistle blew.

Academy well worth the draw in what was Manager Gordon Connelly's final game. Good luck Gordon and thanks for the memories.

Last Updated ( Saturday, 02 September 2017 )
< Previous   Next >

Pld Pts
10. Rothes 34 49
11. Huntly 34 49
12. Wick Academy 34 46
13. Clachnacuddin 34 41
14. Turriff United 34 37
Main Menu
News Items\Reports
SHFL Roundups
Table & Fixtures
Club History
Cup Details
Squad Details
Player Stats
News Blog
Photo Gallery
Scorrie Scoop Details
Scoop Winners
Premier Club Details
Premier Club Winners
WAFC Amazon Store
Sponsorship Packages
Match\Ball Sponsorship
Sports Science
WEB Links
Contact Us
FAQ & Help
Guest Book
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Youth Football
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Scorrie Scoop
User Stats
338 registered
0 today
0 this week
0 this month
Members: 340
News: 2202
WebLinks: 108
Visitors: 11510105
Content WAFC 2010 - Built, Configured & Art Work by John Briskham, Wick Academy Football Club.