Wick Academy Football club Official web Site - WAFC - Harmsworth park - Dalbeattie Star 1 - WAFC 3 - SC R1

Adverts - Click Below
Wednesday, 25 April 2018
Home arrow News Items\Reports arrow 2016\17 Archived Results & Match Reports arrow Dalbeattie Star 1 - WAFC 3 - SC R1
Dalbeattie Star 1 - WAFC 3 - SC R1 Print E-mail
Written by John Briskham   
Saturday, 24 September 2016

 24th September 2016 - William Hill Scottish Cup - Round 1  Islecroft Stadium
 Dalbeattie Star F.C.

  1 (Tommy Muir 70 Pen)

Dalbeattie_StarTeam: Vinnie Parkerycard, Ritchie Maxwell, Greig Thorburnycard(Steven Degnan 59), Danny Dunglinson(Lewis Todd 46), Lee Wells(Curtiss Wilson 88), James Baty, Tommy Muir, Connor Grahamrcard, Iain Anderson, Lewis Sloanrcard, Jamie McHarrie.

Subs: Lewis Todd, Curtiss Wilson, Steven Degnan, Craig Neill, Ally Mason, David Proudlock, Fraser Morton.

  Wick Academy F.C.

 3 (James Pickles 21, Richard Macadie 40 Pen, Steven Anderson 81)

WAFC_New_Front_wTeam: Sean McCarthy, Michael Steven, Gary Manson, Alan Farquhar, Danny Mackay, Grant Steven, Sam Mackay, Steven Andersonycard, Gary Weir(Andrew Hardwick 72), Richard Macadie(Marc MacGregor 83), James Pickles.

Subs: James McLean, Andrew Mackay, Michael Petrie, Marc MacGregor, Andrew Hardwick, Danny McCarthy.

 Referee:  Duncan Williams
 Bookings:  Greig Thorburn 21
 Vinnie Parker 40
 Lewis Sloan 48 - Red
 Steven Anderson 66
 Connor Graham 68, 92 - Red
 Reporter:  Luke Bunch
 Link to YouTube Coverage:
 Click here
 Match Photos - Mel & Bob Roger:
 Link to match photos

Academy made the 700 mile round trip to Lowland League side Dalbeattie Star and the Scorries booked their place in the second round draw with a fine 3-1 win. Both Alan brothers were missing today, Davie was suspended and Ross is out injured after breaking a bone in his arm in last weekend's game against Nairn.

James Pickles set the ball rolling with the opener and Macadie doubled the lead with a penalty. The home side had Lewis Sloan sent off at the start of the second half, but a Tommy Muir penalty had them straight back in it on 70 minutes. Sean McCarthy pulled off two great saves to deny Dalbeattie the equaliser before Steven Anderson secured the win. Star ended the game with only nine men when Connor Graham picked up his second booking of the match deep into injury time.

The first half-chance of the game fell to Academy on 17 minutes. A Michael Steven throw-in on the right found Sam Mackay on the edge of the box. Mackay knocked the ball back to Gary Manson but he fired his attempt from 25 yards out over the crossbar.

A minute later and Steven Anderson almost found the opener. Gary Weir played the ball onto Anderson who marched into the box and went one-on-one with keeper Vinnie Parker. Parker came and narrowed the angle, blocked Anderson's shot and then gathered the re-bound.

On 21 minutes Academy took the lead. Greig Thorborn gave away a free kick and was booked in the process. Danny Mackay floated it onto the mix and Dalbeattie could only clear to the edge of their box. It fell to Michael Steven who headed it back in for James Pickles who went one-on-one with the keeper and Pickles stayed composed and although Parker got a touch on the ball he couldn't prevent it ending up in the back of the net.

0 - 1

On the half-hour Academy had another chance. Mackay crossed into the box from the right and it was knocked into the path of Macadie but his first-time volley flew just wide of the target.

The home side created their first real chance on 36 minutes. A ball into the Academy box found Jamie McHarrie but his shot smacked off the back of Michael Steven and Academy cleared the danger.

Sam Mackay then had two chance within the space of a minute. Weir won the ball in the centre circle and played it up-field to Mackay. He drove forward and got a shot on target from just inside the box that was saved by Parker. The re-bound fell to Mackay but he could only chip wide. He then had another good attempt from a similar positon again saved by the keeper.

Richard Macadie doubled the Scorrie's advantage five minutes from the half-time break. Pickles combined with Macadie who slid a great ball down the left flank for the Orcadian to run onto. Pickles drove into the box and went to go around keeper Parker who took him down. Referee Duncan Williams had no hesitation in booking Parker before pointing to the penalty spot. Macadie stepped up to take the spot kick, sent the keeper the wrong way and buried it in the bottom right hand corner.

0 - 2

Half Time - Dalbeattie Star 0 - Wick Academy 2

Dalbeattie gaffer Darren Kerr made a change for the start of the second half with Lewis Todd coming on for Danny Dunglinson.

Dalbeattie's task to get back into the game took a dent with only three minutes of the second half played. Lewis Sloan went in to challange for a cross that McCarthy fell forwards to collect and referee Williams spotted something he wasn't happy with and he flashed Sloan a straight red card.

On 70 minutes the 10 men of Dalbeattie pulled a goal back. Danny Mackay challenged Tommy Muir for a 50-50 ball that was played into the Academy box and referee Williams awarded the second penalty of the match. Muir took the responsibility of the spot kick and he hammered home.

1 - 2

Star's tails were up and it took two brilliant saves from Sean McCarthy to prevent the equaliser. The first from a Lee Wells header from a free-kick that looked goal-bound but McCarthy somehow managed to dive to his left and get a hand to it to claw it away to safety. Substitute Sean Degan then had a 25 yard left foot drive that looked bound for the top corner of the net but McCarthy managed to tip over the top with another wonderful one-handed save.

Nine minutes from full-time Academy put the tie to bed. Michael Steven picked up a slack pass from Lee Wells just inside the Academy half on the right flank and drove forward into empty space. He played a fantastic long diagonal ball over the top that Steven Anderson latched onto in between Wells and another covering defender and from just inside the box he smashed a low left foot drive passed keeper Parker into the bottom right hand corner.

1 - 3

Marc MacGregor came on for Richard Macadie and he had an attempt that was saved by Parker who had been a busy boy for the duration of the game.

Dalbeattie's day went from bad to worse as Connor Graham picked up his second booking of the game deep into injury time and Academy ran the clock out to ensure their berth in the second round.

Full Time - Dalbeattie Star 1 - Wick Academy 3

The draw for the second round takes place next Monday night the 26th Sept at 6pm.

Last Updated ( Saturday, 12 August 2017 )
< Previous   Next >

Pld Pts
9. Huntly 34 49
10. Deveronvale 33 48
11. Wick Academy 33 46
12. Rothes 33 46
13. Clachnacuddin 34 41
Main Menu
News Items\Reports
SHFL Roundups
Table & Fixtures
Club History
Cup Details
Squad Details
Player Stats
News Blog
Photo Gallery
Scorrie Scoop Details
Scoop Winners
Premier Club Details
Premier Club Winners
WAFC Amazon Store
Sponsorship Packages
Match\Ball Sponsorship
Sports Science
WEB Links
Contact Us
FAQ & Help
Guest Book
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Youth Football
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Scorrie Scoop
User Stats
338 registered
0 today
0 this week
0 this month
Members: 340
News: 2169
WebLinks: 108
Visitors: 11351690
Content WAFC 2010 - Built, Configured & Art Work by John Briskham, Wick Academy Football Club.