Wick Academy Football club Official web Site - WAFC - Harmsworth park - Formartine United 0 - WAFC 3

Adverts - Click Below
Wednesday, 25 April 2018
Home arrow News Items\Reports arrow 2016\17 Archived Results & Match Reports arrow Formartine United 0 - WAFC 3
Formartine United 0 - WAFC 3 Print E-mail
Written by John Briskham   
Saturday, 06 August 2016

 6th August 2016 - Scottish Highland Football League  North Lodge park
 Formartine United F.C.


formartineunited_adidasTeam: Andrew Reid, Jamie Michie(Neil McVittie 62ycard), Stuart Smithycard, Paul Lawson, Jonathan Crawford, Derek Young(Calum Dingwall 58), Graeme Rodger, Scott Ferries, Neil Gauld(Conor Gethins 68ycard), Garry Wood, Scott Barbour.

Subs: Conor Gethins, Scott Henry, Neil McVittie, Calum Dingwall, Max Berton, Shane Jamieson, Ewan Macdonald.  

  Wick Academy F.C.

 3 (Gary Weir 7, Steven Anderson 60, 91)

WAFC_New_Front_wTeam: Sean McCarthy, Gary Manson, Michael Steven, Alan Farquhar, Ross Allan, Grant Steven,  James Pickles, Richard Macadie, Davie Allan, Steven Anderson, Gary Weir(Marc MacGregor 78).

Subs: Marc MacGregor, Colin Macrae, Michael Petrie, James McLean.

 Referee:  Thomas Shaw
 Bookings:  Stuart Smith 34
 Neil McVittie 71
 Conor Gethins 77
 Reporter:  Ken Wood
 Match Photos - Mel & Bob Roger:
 Link to match photos

Academy continued the excellent start to the 2016/17 SHFL campaign, following up the 2-0 home win v Turriff with a convincing away triumph at North Lodge Park, home of everybody's favourite to win the championship. The result was achieved by three clinically executed goals, the first from Gary Weir after just 7 minutes and then on the hour, after a spell when Formartine threatened to get back into the game, Steven Anderson volleyed high into the net from 25 yards. Anderson completed the rout in stoppage time.

The visitors survived an early threat by packing the six yard box while two of Formartine's highly rated strike force, Neil Gauld and Garry Wood, each swung a boot at the ball bouncing between them.

The home fans were stunned in the 7th minute when Davie Allan ran deep into opposing territory and played a one- two with Richard Macadie before flicking the ball into the penalty area ahead of Weir. Keeper Andy Reid was quickly off his line to block Weir's first effort at point-blank range but the stocky striker coolly side-stepped to his left and slid the ball into the unguarded net.

Around the 15 minute mark Allan again sprinted past the home defence but although the pressure led to a couple of corners, one each side, there were no shots Reid's goal.

Formartine fought back but when Gauld raced forward Macadie had retreated to the 18 yard line to tackle him. Jonathan Crawford went forward for a corner kick and rose highest near the spot to head the ball down but it was wide of the target. Weir was back to head away a free kick from Paul Lawson and keeper Sean McCarthy was twice called upon, stretching to catch a high cross and diving forward to grab a low cross, both these efforts from Scott Ferries on the Formartine right.

After 37 minutes, Davie Allan relieved the pressure sending Weir clear on the right. Weir cut inside two defenders but from the side of the area pulled his shot beyond the back post. Macadie set up Allan whose low drive was only inches wide.

On the stroke of half time Jamie Michie ghosted in from the right almost to the six yard box but hooked his shot wide.

Half Time - Formartine United 0 - Wick Academy 1

Wick restarted the game in determined mood and on 50 minutes James Pickles won the ball and bustled forward, passing to Weir who was stopped on the 18 yard line.

Gauld raced clear but clipped this shot wide as McCarthy advanced to cut the angle.

McCarthy fielded a low drive from the left by Graeme Rodger and from his 18 yard line hoisted a long clearance up to Anderson near the left touch line. Anderson headed the ball on inside and as defenders hesitated the fleet-footed young striker ran on to send a powerful swerving volley high past Reid's left hand.

On 65 minutes Rodger volleyed high over the bar from 20 yards. The home side were relying almost entirely on route one attacks and only looked dangerous when they worked the ball out to Barbour on the left. He was well policed by Michael Steven and on the two occasions that Rodger drove low crosses in to the box they were solidly blocked by Grant Steven and Alan Farquhar.

After 70 minutes Academy target man Weir was clattered by Stuart Smith who had already been booked but referee Tommy Shaw was content to award a free kick.

A couple of minutes later a Macadie drive was deflected for a corner. 

84) Low shot from Ferries smothered by McCarthy but Formartine came straight back and McCarthy held a shot/ cross from Barbour.

Good running by Marc MacGregor, twice taking the ball up the left to run down the clock and also closing down and harassing any defender who had the ball. 

In the first minute of stoppage time Gary Manson emerged from a midfield melee with the ball at his feet, and made 20 yards forward before picking out Anderson who cut in from the left to drill a low shot into the corner of the net.

Full Time - Formartine United 0 - Wick Academy 3

Last Updated ( Saturday, 12 August 2017 )
< Previous   Next >

Pld Pts
9. Huntly 34 49
10. Deveronvale 33 48
11. Wick Academy 33 46
12. Rothes 33 46
13. Clachnacuddin 34 41
Main Menu
News Items\Reports
SHFL Roundups
Table & Fixtures
Club History
Cup Details
Squad Details
Player Stats
News Blog
Photo Gallery
Scorrie Scoop Details
Scoop Winners
Premier Club Details
Premier Club Winners
WAFC Amazon Store
Sponsorship Packages
Match\Ball Sponsorship
Sports Science
WEB Links
Contact Us
FAQ & Help
Guest Book
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Youth Football
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Scorrie Scoop
User Stats
338 registered
0 today
0 this week
0 this month
Members: 340
News: 2169
WebLinks: 108
Visitors: 11351693
Content WAFC 2010 - Built, Configured & Art Work by John Briskham, Wick Academy Football Club.